Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing Page Setup crashes MS Paint on Windows 10  (Read 5326 times)

Mike Bolton

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Changing Page Setup crashes MS Paint on Windows 10
    « on: September 19, 2018, 03:10:39 AM »
    Hi.

My version of Paint defaults to Landscape. I opened an old file recently that needed to be printed Portrait so I went into Print Setup to change the setting. Clicking on Portrait crashed the program!? I'm guessing that this is a 'feature' of some Windows 10 update in the past few months but I can't find any reference to it on the web...

Anybody come across and (better still) solved this problem?? Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Changing Page Setup crashes MS Paint on Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »
    What version of Paint ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

imbunky2

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »
      Hi, I'm having literally the exact same problem. I like to edit things quickly and MS Paint is my go-to tool. I just now went to edit an image and print it out, and my page orientation defaulted to landscape in Page Setup. I simply clicked on Portrait to change it and the program crashed my edit and reopened blank. It does this every time I try to switch the orientation to Portrait.

My MS Paint version is 1803 (OS Build 17134.407), and I'm also on Windows 10 like the original poster.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've just installed a new printer so that was my first suspicion (it's an HP ENVY Photo 7155), but I saw this post and thought I'd try my luck here first.
      « Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:21:56 PM by imbunky2 »

nightrunner

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 10:37:07 PM »
        It happens in Paint only or in MS Word as well?
        Have you tried re-installing Paint?

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
        My MS Paint version is 1803 (OS Build 17134.407)
        That's your version of Windows.  So, I guess you view that as your version of Paint, also.  Right?

Are you using the Windows 10 version of Paint?  It is quite different from Paint used with previous versions of Windows.  I guess we can assume that you're using the Windows 10 version of Paint.  However, the reason I ask is that I replaced the Windows 10 version of Paint with the older version. 

rlb

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
          Hi,  I came in here with the same issue.  "My version of Paint defaults to Landscape. I opened an old file recently that needed to be printed Portrait so I went into Print Setup to change the setting. Clicking on Portrait crashed the program!?"

I know this issue is old and I hope everyone has come up with a solution or work around but, I do not see one listed here.  I came across this work around and thought I'd go ahead and share it here in case someone else came looking for a solution/work around.  As I said this is a work around as it will require you to go through the steps every you open a document to print. I hope this is helpful.

Steps:
          1. Open file in MSpaint.
          2. Click on File
          3. Click on Print (do not hover over print and stay in column/window 1 to click on print)
           - - - A print window will come up with printers listed.  (Note: I am using an HP Envy 6200 Photo printer)
          4. Click on Preferences
          5. click on Layout
          6. Select Portrait
          7. Click Okay
          8. Click Apply
          9. Click Print