Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cooler Master case fans not spinning  (Read 18695 times)

rpaul0624

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cooler Master case fans not spinning
    « on: September 27, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
    I just completed my first PC build in a Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid-Tower. Everything works fine except for the 2 front 200mm fans. They light up but do not spin. 

My build includes:

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11 AC WI-FI X299 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i9-7940X Skylake X 14-Core 3.1 GHz LGA 2066 165W

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

NZXT Kraken X72 RL-KRX72-01 High-Performance 360mm All-In-One Water/Liquid CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive

NZXT AC-IUSBH-M1 USB Hub

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 220-P2-1200-X1 80+ PLATINUM 1200W Fully Modular PSU

I am running Windows 10 pro OS

I have an ASUS Fan Extension Card but I did not end up using it. I've tried going through the bios to set the fan speeds but it's not doing anything. Any suggestions would be great, I have no clue where to start.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cooler Master case fans not spinning
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »
    If these fans have 3 or 4 wires on them then they are variable speed and it might be a calibration required in the BIOS to set the PWM values. I have a motherboard that has this feature and I performed the calibration and it fixed it. The CPU FAN also could be calibrated on a system like this to run quiet and only run the fan when necessary at slowest speed possible, however if the system starts to create heat, then the fans can go to 100% speed and be loud running. 

If that's the case then they stay off until the inside temp gets to a certain temp then they turn on slow speed and then if temp continues to climb inside the case then it will go to other higher speed steps to like 50% then 75% and then to 100% full speed if needed.

If these fans only have 2 wires to the motor then they are defective.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
    You also can test them by removing from the case and temporarily hooking them to a MBoard slot instead of the front header panel...

Generally speaking the fans that come with a case are the cheapest garbage they can find...

1 other thought is if they are 2 pin connectors try reversing the connection.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
    1 other thought is if they are 2 pin connectors try reversing the connection.

Would be interesting I suppose if motor circuit backwards and LED circuit correct to light. Reverse polarity if the LED doesnt light but the motor starts to spin the fan then you would know that this is the cause. But reversing polarity could blow the LED and smoke show of the PWM board that drives the fan motor... however the fan isnt spinning anyways so I suppose maybe just a puff of smoke from whats already not working.  ::)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
    I missed they were lit.... :P
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rpaul0624

Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:50:59 AM »
      I changed the settings in the BIOs to run on full speed but I noticed that it's only seeing my back fan and water cooler fans from the Kraken X72.

What do you mean when you said If these fans only have 2 wires to the motor then they are defective