Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen  (Read 1877 times)

Chris369

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Blue Screen
    « on: October 07, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
    Hi. I'm in the UK with a Dell XPS-8500, originally Windows 8 but upgraded (not recently) to Windows 10. I had my first Blue Screen on this PC today. Unexpected store exception. When I tried to reboot, it said no bootable device. However, when I powered down & up it did reboot. I mooched around online for general advice & downloaded Crystal Disk Info. My drive is an ST2000DM001. Crystal assessed this as caution because Current Pending Sector Count & Uncorrectable Sector Count were both 8. But the numbers keep climbing every time I run Crystal. The latest is 1,000 for both counts, still assessed as caution. In case of loose physical connection, I opened up the PC & disconnected & reconnected the cables (power to HDD & both ends of HDD to MB). It didn't help. Is it the drive & do I just need  to buy a new one? Any other advice? Thanks.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Blue Screen
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
    Hi

Yes it is the hard drive failing, When a drive starts developing Uncorrectable Sector it is the start of the end of life for a drive. You could replace the drive with an SSD drive or have a tech copy the old drive to the SSD. As soon as you can make a Windows 10 recovery flash drive don't use the computer except to do this.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297924/create-windows-10-recovery-media-for-your-dell-computer?lang=en

The above will help in reloading windows.

If you want to install the SSD yourself you will need a SSD to 3 1/2" adapter.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Blue Screen
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »
    I would boot to windows 10, backup anything you wish to keep, buy yourself a new drive and start with a clean copy of windows 10.

The old drive looks like it should be retired.  :)