Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Audio Crackling & Popping (even with headphones)  (Read 2628 times)

wjdgone

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Audio Crackling & Popping (even with headphones)
    « on: October 09, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »
    Hello all, I usually don't post on these tech support forums but the problem I have is driving me crazy, and I don't have the luxury to drop off my laptop at a repair place for 1+ week.

The problem is basically what I said in the title. I'm using an Asus Q525, Windows 10, and whenever I play any kind of sound on my laptop, either headphones plugged in or not, there's this really annoying cracking sound that sometimes is bearable because it's soft, but sometimes it's really noticeable and I can't listen to anything. I know it's a laptop problem and not my headphones because my headphones work just fine with other devices.

I tried pretty much all of the troubleshooting tips I already found online. Since I'm no techie, I really don't want to open up my laptop to find out the hardware issue. Here's a laundry list of things I tried:

- Updating my audio driver
    - Changing sound format to 16 bit DVD Quality
    - Disabling sound enhancement
    - Uninstalling Realtek High Defn Audio from device manager and installing High Defn Audio (not Realtek)
    (I had to give up on this one because no sound refused to play after I did this, so I reverted back to Realtek)
    - Changing power settings so that the min processor state is set at 100%.

Literally nothing works. When I did the 4th bullet point (after I reinstalled Realtek), the problem actually seemed to go away but it came right back after 5 mins or so. I'd very much appreciate any help.

modobo

Rookie

Re: Laptop Audio Crackling & Popping (even with headphones)
      « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:29:18 AM »
      The problem might be in the BIOS, check the settings or update to latest BIOS for the said laptop. If all else fails get urself a usb sound dongle

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
      You can also try reverting your BIOS to default settings, just make sure to set them back the way you want them. If that doesn't work, you could try refreshing windows. It keeps your files, bust basically resets most settings and reinstalls windows. That might keep your audio settings, so if that doesn't work, I personally would  go though the wizard to reset windows to factory settings. (You will lose all of your data if you do this, so I don't recommend it, unless you know how to back up your files.)

It could be something simple too like updating your BIOS, theres always that.  :-\

Cheers!
      Anthony
      "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »
      The problem might be in the BIOS, check the settings or update to latest BIOS for the said laptop. If all else fails get urself a usb sound dongle

You can safely ignore this advice...

And the one above it as well...it ain't a BIOS issue...Period.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
      Cracking and popping most likely isn't software, I gave that advice because you stated that you cannot do anything hardware related.

I had a similar issue and thought it was hardware on a Dell laptop. It was windows 7 and was my secondary computer, so no vital items were stored on it. I re-installed windows 7 with the original DVD that came with it and one it was re-installed the computer ran better and the popping never happened again. It was an old windows installation and it had been through a few virus attacks, so it needed it anyways. So refreshing windows might be your best bet, it keeps all of your files anyways. It takes a couple hours to do, so there will be no long wait time.
      "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
      One possibility: Realtek Drivers for Windows 10 have a known issue with their default power saving options, which as far as I can tell they do not actually expose via any settings dialogs. This seems to particularly affect ASUS Laptops for some reason.

However it's configuration options can be changed in Registry Editor.

If you open registry editor you should be able to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\Audio\RtkNGUI6 4\PowerMgnt

There should be an "Enabled" value here; set it to 0.

Exit Registry Editor and Restart.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.