Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop isn't working  (Read 67224 times)

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: My laptop isn't working
    « Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 10:09:05 PM »
    So, I have a lot of documents, videos and files. What would be the best HDD for me? Also, am I even looking at the right thing?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=HDD&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A1292110011%2Cn%3A1254762011%2Ck%3AHDD%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A8067149011%7C8067154011%7C8067151011&qid=1539317213&sort=price-asc-rank

Also, if I'm looking at the right thing based on the link, where would it go on my Laptop?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 03:18:24 AM »
    Hi,

You still haven't said the make and model of Laptop. The reason this is important is with a 27GB hard drive it is unlikely to be any of the drives in your link. And may not even have a replaceable drive.
    Also you said you downloaded real player installer 3 times, if downloading files more than once it maybe you have a lot of space used in the downloads folder.
    Windows keeps files in the update cache this can get to 10 GB's or more so worth clearing.   You can use Diskcleanup then Select cleanup system files from there you can select (windows update cleanup) and (downloaded program files) . Deleting these files on my computer would free up 8.4GB a 1/3 of your disk space.
    If you have System Restore enabled you may want to reduce the size allocated to restore points or disable system restore, not ideal.

Please give us the make and model of the laptop and if you have a link to the specs would be amazing.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 07:34:10 AM »
      Where is the make and model located?

Term_ite

Beginner
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
        Where is the make and model located?
        Post everything you can read on the outside of the case and on the bezel surrounding your screen and keyboard. Also what does the splash screen read (the screen that first appears when you turn on your laptop)? Someone may be able to discern the make & model from what you post. Otherwise your best bet may be to take it to a service depot where they can assess it and give you an estimate on changing your drive.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 10:05:10 AM »
        Please DO NOT post everything you see on the outside of your computer. To find the manufacturer, either look for the silver sticker on the bottom of the laptop, the name on the lid of the computer, or watch the name that appears on the screen when you first boot. The model number is also on that sticker. Alternatively, follow the step by step instructions in the link below, post your model number, and we'll figure out the rest:
        https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Find-Your-Laptops-Model-Number-Without-the-/

Term_ite

Beginner
          « Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
          Hi Allan
          Your right. I wasn't careful enough with my wording in my post. There may be personal info or other things on a case that are not suitable for our forum. My apologies.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »
            I have to find the make and the model as I have been busy. I have 2 questions. One, is there anyway I can purchase something that I would be able to save my files and that way I can free up disk space? Two,  is there anyway I can download Real Player and it wouldn't take up that much disk space?

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 03:54:04 PM »
            I have to find the make and the model as I have been busy. I have 2 questions. One, is there anyway I can purchase something that I would be able to save my files and that way I can free up disk space? Two,  is there anyway I can download Real Player and it wouldn't take up that much disk space?

1. Well to free up disk space, you can get yourself additional HDD for more space, or get a flash drive (see https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/j/jumpdriv.htm if you don't know what a flash drive is and generally you can buy those where you normally can buy computers or computer parts anyway)

2. If there are options you can remove yourself (for example, if software comes with additional addons that allow for additional options or translations you don't need) or something of that nature. Or you find some kind of 'lite' version of the software you want if they offer such (which typically is a stripped down version of the non-lite version) then seems like you can't just make it smaller like that.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
              1) Now, if I was to purchase an HDD from Amazon, I'm assuming that the more expensive, the more files you can save on there?

2) I've tried downloading Realplayer from some sites but there are a lot of pop-up ads and spam.

2x3i5x

Expert
              « Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
              1. HDD with  bigger capacity = ability to store more stuff on it. Yes, generally cost is relative to capacity, but don't forget you may have to factor in shipping costs if you buy from online places such as Amazon.

2. Just download reaplayer from the official site, unless you have a need for an older version: http://www.real.com/realplayer

3. What is the make and model of the computer? think you were going to find out a little later, but just don't forget though.

4. Finally, you can just save your old hard drive, put the operating system onto there, and get another drive to store your data if you wish to do that. May be a good idea, see what other members opinions are for you though. Good luck. 

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 03:44:31 AM »
              If you want to move some data from your hd to another location you should purchase an external hard drive, not a flash drive. But you still should replace your drive with a larger one. Still waiting for make and model of computer.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
                HP Notebook-14" HD Display

Serial Number- 5CG7243DJ6
                Product Number-W2M55UA#ABA

Processor-AMD E2-7110 Quad Core

Allan

• Mastermind

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »
                  Ok, so based on the link what does that mean. I can't save anything to HDD? Can I save it to a flash drive or something else? And if so, what can I get?

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
                  You can get an external hard drive and copy whatever you like to that. Also, as I suggested earlier in this thread you can download treesize and see where the space is being used and then offload some of those files (or delete the unnecessary ones). Candidly, if it were me I'd buy a new laptop.