Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop isn't working  (Read 67506 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My laptop isn't working
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
You can save everything...with an external HDD...i also echo the comment it's time to retire that ol girl...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
    Really, buy a new Laptop. It's only a year old.

Let me ask, I can get an external HDD? But it would have to be one that's kind of expensive because more expensive=more files I can download.

I'm assuming external HDD and external Hard Drive is the same thing?

Here is a link from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_22?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=external+hard+drive+laptop&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aexternal+hard+drive+laptop

What would be best for me? I'm also assuming you can save more with a Hard Drive with TB than GB?
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:17:25 PM by JackCatalano »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
    Looks to be a bit more than a year old...just sayin.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »
    Patio, the model in question has been for sale for a few years, however they were being sold new until fairly recently.

Rant about manufacturers incoming...

I don't think this storage issue is necessarily really related to age. The problem is HP, and other manufacturers, and their disgusting tactic of exploiting general user ignorance regarding aspects like disk storage. people see the low price tag and see it in action for a bit and it all looks up to snuff. It's not until- say a year later- that the user discovers that the storage space provided makes the system useless. For a while the models sold could be upgraded- HP and other manufacturers would use an interposer to install the eMMC drive. But, now, they are basically using proprietary plugs *specifically* to prevent their consumers from upgrading the storage.

Strictly speaking, 32GB is "big enough" for Windows 10. But only on paper. And only if you never install applications. Once you install a few applications- and actually use the system- files will accumulate on the drive and without constant maintenance and cleaning out of the drive it's very easy to run out of space. And the very user that these manufacturers target- individuals like JackCatalano- don't have the skillset to really tackle that problem appropriately. (And heck, even if they do, why is that Pain in the *censored* their responsibility when manufacturers should be selling products that aren't hot garbage?). So they end up screwed. Naturally, if you call their support, they will push their laptop models that come with larger drives, Particularly now that they have *intentionally* made it so that the drives cannot be upgraded on some of their lesser models like this one.

I don't think an External HDD will really fix the problem. That is only useful because you can save your own files onto the HDD; but 32GB is simply much not big enough for Windows 10, that's why pretty much everybody with a 32GB eMMC has to deal with this problem. You *can* use an External to help with some of the Windows stuff- but That is a despicably involved process f or the manufacturers to require of users just to use their PC normally like a normal person. When the crappy, awful design and proprietary limitations intentionally added to a system require the user to follow a three step process involving a second PC (which itself is not strangled in the same way) and a Flash Drive in order to install, I think it's fair to say the manufacturers don't have the consumer's best interest in mind when they save the 10-15 bucks on storage by using a 32GB eMMC instead of 64GB.

A typical laptop from ten years ago came with a hard drive that had at least 7 times as much storage. My Smartphone from 2014 has twice the storage. The only reason these laptop manufacturers are selling hot garbage with 32GB eMMC drives is to exploit users who don't know any better and aren't aware of all the stupid hoops they are going to have to jump through because of it. You can just imagine the marketing folks in those companies, with their squirrelly faces, in the break room laughing about how they pulled one over on so many people, and can only wish you could clamp their eyelids open, fill the sprinkler system with lemon juice, and burn some toast.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
      Ok, let me ask. Forget RealPlayer right now. If I wanted to download a video from youtube and save it so I can watch it, can I? And if I can, how?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:40 PM »
      Hi from your link my first choice would be
      https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-500GB-Extreme-Portable-SDSSDE60-500G-G25/dp/B078SWJ3CF/ref=sr_1_36?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539575789&sr=1-36&keywords=external+hard+drive+laptop

2nd choice
      https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN/dp/B00CRZ2PRM/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539575864&sr=1-17&keywords=external+hard+drive+laptop

Have you done all the things suggested to free up space on the laptops hard drive. You should be able to get about 10Gb free space if you are running windows 10 with a couple of small programs like chrome and real player.

There also maybe an option of getting a 128gb sdcard and using the card reader for drive expansion this would be slower than the current drive. Windows is able to add 2 drives together called spanning to make 1 drive. If you do decide to do this still get the usb drive and do regular backups. A sd card isn't designed for millions of read writes so could fail before the emmc drive in the laptop. make sure you keep regular backups.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 03:18:59 AM »
        I have done it!!! I was able to sign into Realplayer. What I did was use Clean Master for PC and deleted The Browsing History. Once I did that I was able to download Realplayer.

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 02:49:02 AM »
          Have a question. I have a lot of documents that are saved on Disk C. Is there anyway I can free up more space on Disk C by sending those documents to my email or something? I have an email address already so I don't have to set one up.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 05:24:33 AM »
          GET AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
          Getting an external drive is a way of making more space on your main drive.

There's also the option to send files onto the cloud if you're into those things (Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Dropbox ... that kind of thing). 

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »
            I have a few questions. My laptop keeps freezing. I've had it for 4 years. There are all sorts of things wrong with it. First, they say that the battery is low. Two, my browser is google chrome. And my computer freezes constantly. It says "page unresponsive", out of memory, google chrome didn't shut down right. I constantly have to x out of the internet because my computer constantly freezes and when I try to access the internet, it's just completely frozen. Pages don't load correctly. Websites that I click on or type in takes forever to get too and even then, I can't access it. I also access xfinity stream on my laptop.  do have photos and videos on my laptop, so I'm wondering if that's it or not. I did delete a bunch of photos and videos. I can't delete anymore because they have sentimental value and it would be too hard.

So, I ask, what should I do? Should I just get a new laptop? Can somebody help me with this?

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2021, 05:16:20 AM »
              So my laptop continues to freeze. What should I do?

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #42 on: September 30, 2021, 05:36:01 AM »
              1) Unless your drive is close to full, it doesn't matter what is on it.
              2) Does the same thing happen with other browsers?
              3) WHO says your battery is low?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
              • My first real computer
                • Yes
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #43 on: September 30, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »
              Hi Jack ,
              Google chrome is starting to have problems working with Windows 7 especially if all the updates are not installed. There is 2 options to diagnose this.

1. download Speccy from here https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download
              Run the program after it completes select file, publish snapshot and copy the url to your next post.
              This report doesn't contain any personnel information.
              From the report we should have a clear idea what the cause of the problem is. A bit like a blood test.

2 As Allan suggested try a different browser like firefox  from here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
              And see if you still have the issue
              You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
              ― John Bunyan

JackCatalano

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »
                I tried to download Speccy but it said that the disk is full. What should I do now? I've tried freeing up disk space but it doesn't seem to work.