Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overpowered cpu message  (Read 1889 times)

clevername

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Overpowered cpu message
    « on: October 11, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
    Hello, I just got a second hand pc on ebay that i was told is stock. Upon start up I get a message that reads "cpu is overpowered... system will run under clocked to maintain stability." The pc runs but i have no idea if its "fully" running.
    What would i need to do to get it performing properly if it isn't? How would or could i upgrade from here?

It's a cyberpower pc gua 520
    AMD Fx 4350 quadcore
    Nvidia GeForce GT 730
    8gb RAM
    PSU Venus VM500WT
    1 Tb Hdd

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Overpowered cpu message
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
    What is the exact wording of the message you get?  Are you able to work out the model of motherboard the machine has?  Even though the seller claims it's stock, the model you mentioned appears to have come originally with a AMD-FX4300 chip which is a 95w CPU, the FX4350 you have is a 125w chip.  It wouldn't surprise me if a machine like that has a lower end motherboard that doesn't have sufficient power delivery to power a 125w TDP chip and it's therefore downclocking the CPU.

At any rate, unless the fault was mentioned on the eBay listing, I'd be pushing to return the system since it's clearly not working as it should.