Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu.... issues with trying to install to dead hard drive on thinkpad  (Read 6447 times)

Coco423

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
So, this isn't my Windows XP laptop its the other one i have with a dead hdd. im usb booting ubuntu and am trying to install it to the booting flash drive. but for some reason it tries to install to the dead hard drive. how do i get past this?

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
    Re: Ubuntu.... issues with trying to install to dead hard drive on thinkpad
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »
    The Ubuntu Live installer may not be able to install to the same physical disk it running on. It cannot overwrite the partition it's running on.

That said, it might be possible, if the USB flash drive was partitioned with enough unallocated space for an OS, that the Live installer would install to that unallocated space on the same physical drive. I haven't tried this but it's possible.

Regardless - you should check out Ubuntu Live with Persistent Storage:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

This creates a Live ISO with a storage partition that persists across boots. You could use that partition for /usr, /bin, /home, /etc, etc. That might provide the functionality you need.

Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Coco423

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    Re: Ubuntu.... issues with trying to install to dead hard drive on thinkpad
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
    Oh, 64 Gb should be enough for an OS, i just made the mistake of putting the live installer on both flash drives i wanted it on. Oops. Well, time to format a 16 Gb and install it on the 32 and 64 GB that way.

Actually, i need in install, since im going to use it for Minecraft.