Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Drive Recognized in Windows, but not DOS  (Read 2741 times)

Glaucon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Disk Drive Recognized in Windows, but not DOS
    « on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »
    I just bought an IBM Thinkpad T42 that is running Windows 98. I want to play some of the MS-DOS and Windows games that I have, but are too old to run on Windows 10. So far every Windows game I've tried has worked, however, I haven't been able to get any DOS game running. Am I doing something wrong? Here is what I do:

I have the system restart in MS-DOS, open the disc drive, put a disc in, close the disc drive, type "D:" to switch to the disc drive (that's the correct drive letter, I checked), but I get a message that says "Invalid drive specification".

When I run MS-DOS in Windows 98 and do the same steps the drive is recognized and it switches to that drive. Any idea what might be going on? Any advice helps, I'm out of my depth in all this.

Salmon Trout

Re: Disk Drive Recognized in Windows, but not DOS
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »
    When you say you put "put a disk in", do you mean a CD or DVD? Into an optical drive? If so, are you loading MSCDEX when you start MS_DOS?