Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this a scam.  (Read 13136 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Is this a scam.
    « on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:11 AM »
    Hi, this came up while I was looking at the TV guide.
    Is this a scam or do I really have a virus?

This is the website they came from.  http://secureservice.onesysutil.live/lp/acsh1/?pxl=WAD4123_WAD4027_RUNT&utm_campaign=wadcsh&utm_pubid=1806387-2919733628-0&utm_source=wadcsh&x-at=Firefox&x-context=15468644150248076099069148262668746

I run my virus protections regularly & have nil results.

Windows 10 with SAS, and I regularly use Superdaves & evilfantasies reference to other virus protection programs.

Thank you. ImnoGuru
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Is this a scam.
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
    It's a scam.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »
    Any warnings that come through your browser with a URL are scams and click bait to try to infect in many cases. When you see these its best to close the browser and then reopen browser. However some browsers try to bring you back to where you where but give you the option to restore recently closed pages etc. When you see the message to restore or go back to the last page or session select NO and chose to open a new session. One step further is to wipe out the browser history for say the last 2 hours or any amount of time you chose so that the bad URL is flushed from the history so no way you can accidentally go back to it and have it display it again from accidentally going back to it through history.

If browser gets hit with a hijacker though sometimes it removes your ability to close the browser through normal means such as it displays a warning full screen or a pop up that takes control and no ability to close it or minimize it. If you ever see one of these then its best to press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and select to go to task manager and then locate the open browser session and tell it to kill or end that task or entire process tree for that browser. It then exits the browser and you can then run Malwarebytes on your system and remove any browser hijacker.

One good thing to do is make sure you always have 2 browsers on your system. So that if one browser gets infected you can use the other that is not infected to look up a solution to fixing the problem on the other infected browser. Having Edge or Internet Explorer depending on Windows version plus another browser of choice such as Firefox which is the browser of my choice, I have had a hijacker take Firefox hostage and by my ability to launch Edge browser I was able to download and install Malwarebytes through edge on that system and then fix the issue with Firefox taken hostage by hijacker. The hijacker my Firefox got hit with I was at facebook just reading what people posted for christmas and then somehow an rogue ad server served up a FBI warning claiming adult content on system and call this number immediately in an audio loop to correct the problem. The method of using Edge to download and install Malwarebytes to this system and then run full scan of malwarebytes caught the problem and fixed the problem with Firefox. Had I not had this Edge browser as an alternate browser I would have had to use another computer and put malwarebytes on a thumb drive and then install it off the thumb drive which if I only have 1 computer like many people do, I would have been in trouble with a lack of means of getting malwarebytes onto my computer to fix it.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:26:07 PM »
      I knew in my heart it was a scam BC_Programmer because Im very active on running regular scans from other sources that I trust.
      Short of the 500 or so gathered from Malwarebytes, nothing of any significance ever shows up, just the trackers. No PUP's, Trojans, hijackers or downloaded files. I did see at one point that Malwarebytes notifications, displayed 1 item added to the start menu, but I couldnt find anything untoward. That was some time ago, say 2 months ago. Everything in the start menu has been there since I got this computer. There are a couple I dont know what they are or do, but they are pretty insignificant. Energy Star & Bonjour by name. Energy Star is just a program that rates products energy comsumption.

That was the other reason I figured it was a virus potential DaveLembke, it came from a browser. Of all things it was my TV guide that it took over. So something advertised on the TV Guide page may have triggered it.

Certainly good advice to clear out the history otherwise it has the potential to continually return & I've seen this on a mates home computer. It was too hard to tell him how to get out of it remotely, so I had to go there to fix his computer. ( Lucky he was fairly local then ). So hard to deal with when the op doesn't have a clue, dinner was nice though. LOL.

All clean now then. Thanks for your confirmation.
      ImnoGuru. ;D
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Jamesdaniel

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
        It's a scam they show you message like this and ask to install some programs. If you install those programs, they might stole  your personal or anythings with your PC.