Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual PC suggestions?  (Read 2674 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Virtual PC suggestions?
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
Years ago I use to use Virtual PC 2007. Now I have a need again to run a virtual environment and there are many out there. Was wondering what the best one is thats out there that is free to operate. The site at this link here is dated 2016 and figured I'd run this by you all to see if there is a better solution than VMWare for non commercial use?

https://www.topbestalternatives.com/windows-virtual-pc/

System I am running has 16GB RAM 8-core AMD FX-8350 CPU, and Windows 10 and hoping to run a virtual Windows 7 Home Premium environment that I can save the VHD ( Virtual Hard Drive ) file like I use to do with Virtual PC 2007 and so if the VHD gets corrupt, able to delete that file and copy/paste from backup a clean copy of it and be back up and running again.

Somewhere I still have Virtual PC 2007 but I doubt Windows 10 will support running that properly.

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Virtual PC suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
about 6 months ago I had an issue with Oracle Workstation VM software after a Win10 update.
although others could get it working, the hoops I tried just didn't work for me so I also looked for a replacement.

turns out if you have Win10 Pro, the inbuilt, free Hyper-V is excellent.
I've setup VM's for XP and Win7 under it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »
Interesting...never tested it. How does it handle Linux distros ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
I use VMWare Workstation for my Virtual Machine needs; still using version 10, but still works well enough. The main issue I have is that running Vista and later seems to heavily grind the drive I have the VHD on, though I chalk this up to me keeping them on a 5400RPM drive.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
about 6 months ago I had an issue with Oracle Workstation VM software after a Win10 update.
although others could get it working, the hoops I tried just didn't work for me so I also looked for a replacement.

Just wondering, is Oracle Workstation VM software same as Oracle Virtualbox or are they two different softwares?

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 02:36:59 PM »
My mistake, I was (way back) using Oracle Virtualbox but moved to VMware Workstation before replacing it with HyperV.

Got my companies and software mixed up. :)

@patio - haven’t tried any distros yet as I have a dedicated PC I use for that.  But they (Microsoft) give a Win10 and Linux template VHD to get you started so it shouldn’t be an issue.