Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having trouble setting up e-mail account in Outlook 97.  (Read 2223 times)

Ajfer03

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Having trouble setting up e-mail account in Outlook 97.
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
So, I recently got my HP Jornada 540 to work with a computer running windows XP. The only trouble I'm having with the sync is the e-mail. The only thing I can set up in outlook is a Microsoft Mail account. Which asks for a post-office and such. For me under the services tab, I cannot find the internet mail option, just other stuff that I really don't know how to use. I'm wondering if there is some sort of update I need to preform on the program that will give it the service. As of now, I'm going to attempt to use Outlook Express to Sync to it for e-mail.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Having trouble setting up e-mail account in Outlook 97.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 07:42:10 AM »
Protocols have changed in the last 21 years. I'd avoid using Outlook 97 and use e-mail through the providers website if thats an option or maybe use Thunderbird if you can find an older version that supports XP to have your e-mail handled by that which is more secure and has newer protocol and security support to handshake to newer mail server services.

Ajfer03

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Having trouble setting up e-mail account in Outlook 97.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
The problem is, Thunderbird will not work with the Jornada. I most likely wouldn't use it with my main e-mail account anyways. I was trying to find a free copy of Outlook 2000 as that does support internet mail, but to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions on a program that will work with the HP Jornada 540 as an email program, please feel free to share.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky