Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardwired PC connection problem  (Read 2427 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Hardwired PC connection problem
    « on: November 13, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »
    My PC was working fine last night, went to use it this morning and there was no internet.  I have it connected to a network switch, which is connected directly to my router (router is on the opposite side of the house).  I've tried resetting the router, powering off and restarting the network switch, and restarting my PC but I'm still having the issue.  After a restart it will have internet connectivity for a few minutes, then it drops.  I contacted my ISP and they confirmed there is nothing wrong on their end and ran a few tests.  Wifi works fine on wireless devices, and my TV, which is connected to the same network switch has no problem running Netflix, Hulu, etc.

The ISP rep said there was a Windows update that rolled out last night and that I wasn't the first to complain of this issue, so they think it's related to the update.  I tried running Windows Update and it showed there were updates available but was painfully slow in downloading and installing them.  I left it running as it stated it was installing, so I'm hoping everything is fine when I get home from work, but if not, what are the next steps? 

My network adapter is integrated with my mobo, so if it's bad, I suppose I could install a stand-alone one into one of my empty slots.  The other thing I thought is the cable I have the PC connected to the switch with could be bad, but when I connected it to one of my laptops it worked fine.  Since it was working fine last night I'm assuming (and hoping) its just this update causing the problem, but figured I would check here to be safe...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hardwired PC connection problem
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
    Hi

Try rolling back the network driver especially if it was recently updated.

How to do this is explained here  https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-roll-back-a-driver-in-windows-2619217

There is also the option of using system restore to take the computer back a few days.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

If it isn't turned on you won't be able to restore , I would turn it on to help in the future.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Hardwired PC connection problem
      « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
      It must have been the windows update.  I left it installing (extremely slowly) when I left for work.  When I came home the install had completed and I was prompted to restart.  Once the restart completed everything was back to normal, thank goodness.