Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS newbie error: RAID has caused SSD to 'dissapear'  (Read 2162 times)

GTree9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    BIOS newbie error: RAID has caused SSD to 'dissapear'
    « on: October 29, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
    HI all first build computer,

I installed a CPU Fan and went onto BIOS to quickly see if it was working and it saw the option to enable RAID and it said it would increase performance so it seduced me because I'm new to this and like shiny things.

so i enabled RAID mode and it caused my SSD to disappear from the SATA Information and i have not been able get it back.

I have gone to PCH storage configuration and changed the SATA mode selection back to AHCI and still can't see my SSD in SATA information upon reboot.

Full spec;

Asus H370-a prime
    16gb Corsair vengeance ram
    I5 8400
    Gtx 1060
    Windows 10 pro

was only using the SSD so i had my OS on there (Windows 10). i have moved it back to AHCI in the BIOS options. Reset Defaults in BIOS. i have manually shorted on Mobo (although not sure how this worked as Asus manual said to turn computer off and then short the two pins with a screwdriver?) and have also reset CMOS by removing battery and shorting pins on Mobo still SSD cannot be found in Sata information.

I have no idea what else to do my computer can no longer recognise my SSD. have i broke it?

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: BIOS newbie error: RAID has caused SSD to 'dissapear'
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
    Here are your troubleshooting steps.

1. Remove SSD From PC
    2. Try connecting drive to another computer. (If you cannot see the drive from the other computer, then the drive has most likely failed.)
    3. Attach a different drive to your main computer and see if it is recognized. (If the drive has not failed, then it has something to do with your computer.)
    5. If nothing has seemed to be wrong so far during the testing, then possibly try switching to another SATA port on your motherboard.
    6. If still nothing seems to be showing any answers, then try switching the cable that supplies power to the drive.
    7. If all else fails, disconnect all power from your computer. Remove CMOS battery and wait 10-15 minutes. (If you want, possibly do this first.)

Hope this helps you!
    Anthony
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

GTree9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:09:24 AM »
      Here are your troubleshooting steps.

1. Remove SSD From PC
      2. Try connecting drive to another computer. (If you cannot see the drive from the other computer, then the drive has most likely failed.)
      3. Attach a different drive to your main computer and see if it is recognized. (If the drive has not failed, then it has something to do with your computer.)
      5. If nothing has seemed to be wrong so far during the testing, then possibly try switching to another SATA port on your motherboard.
      6. If still nothing seems to be showing any answers, then try switching the cable that supplies power to the drive.
      7. If all else fails, disconnect all power from your computer. Remove CMOS battery and wait 10-15 minutes. (If you want, possibly do this first.)

Hope this helps you!
      Anthony

Anthony,

thanks for your suggestions i have done them all apart from number 2 as i do not have another computer. still no luck.

thanks for your help.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »
      Dang, then it is probably your SSD, sorry dude!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
      I think the BIOS is retaining the RAID command and waiting for the 2nd disk...
      I would disconnect all drives and do a few cold boots with re-setting the BIOS back to default settings...

You have nothin to lose if i'm wrong.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GTree9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 05:47:11 AM »
        Thanks for suggestions all, Patio i tried disconnecting all drives and reseting defaults but still nothing i have tried this a couple times before.

UPDATE: so i presumed i had just destroyed my SSD so i purchased another (same exact SSD) and have just connected that and again it cannot be seen in SATA Information. Ive got Windows 10 on an USB gone to install it and it cannot find any drives.

this is weird as i have a 1Tb Hard drive that can be found in the Sata information and has let me install windows but jut cant see the SSD.

so frustrating as i now have two SSD's that are not recognised by my PC but my Harddrive is. i have used same sata cables same sockets on Mobo so i know its not the cables or the Mobo socket.

Any further suggestions? posted this on forums everywhere no one has a clue.

do not want to resort to taking this to a computer shop was hoping to do it all with help for the interweb.

thanks all for reading and suggestions

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 07:39:10 AM »
        Try different SATA ports...

I'd also try new data cables...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GTree9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
          I have bought new SATA Cables and am using totally different SATA ports each time have all of my drives connected (2 x SSD's 1 x HD) and still can on find the HD drive and neither of the SSD's.

Do you think it would be worth enabling and disabling RAID again, i am really at a loss here of what to do.

GTree9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 11:04:09 AM »
            so I have managed to locate the Storage devices, I have gone into Asus Ez Flash Utility V3. think it used to find the update to the BIOS on a Storage device. so i can see what files are on each Drive and can see all three drives on here labeled as Storage Device(s);

fs0:\
            fs1:\
            fs2:\

but when i go back to the main screen of BIOS and look at SATA Information it still just shows the hard drive only.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
            • Your everyday nerd.
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
            This is very strange, maybe it is possible that you could update your BIOS firmware by using a USB stick? You can search your motherboard make and model online and go to ASUS's website and find the correct update for your motherboard. Even if you have the most current revision, it is still worth a *censored* to try and update it. I don't see any other problems here. It just seems to be some sort of compatibility issue of some sort. Maybe try a different brand of SSD? I'm currently at a loss of what to tell you to do at the moment, as I have never experienced this problem myself.

Hope this helps,
            Anthony