Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HARD DRIVE CHANGOVER  (Read 2050 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    HARD DRIVE CHANGOVER
    « on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:11 AM »
    Morning, I am thinking of building or buying a new pc,depends on price.but either way i will buy a 1tb hard drive ,
    i have two hard drives in at  the moment.one from a old pc i asked the guy who built it to leave my old one in.because it had files on it ,but if i keep doing this there will be no room for anything else.  SO my question is can i put the contents of both,
    hard drives on to the new one ,and how do i do it.

any advice would be welcome.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HARD DRIVE CHANGOVER
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
    your data (pics, docs, emails, bookmarks etc) can be copy/paste'd to the new drive.
    software (Windows, Office, security, printers etc) have to be reinstalled from the installation CD or from a web download.

so the new rig will come with its drive, then you plug in one of your old drives, either internally or via a USB external enclosure, and copy and paste away.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:52:50 AM »
      Thanks Mark. for answering, afraid i am new at this so i will have to keep reading it to understand it. not sure how i cut and paste from old to new drive. and download form a disk i dont understand that. sorry to be a moron, but if i don't ask i will never do it.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
      So what you want to do in in your new computer, connect your old hard drive up by whatever means. The go into windows file explorer and you should be able to see your old hard drive listed on the left side. Once you click on it you can see all of your files that you had on the other computer and you can drag and drop them onto your desktop or any other folder that you would like.

This video here can help you out, it tells you what is going to pop up and how you can take the files off your drive.
      Hope this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n64F6p-_Vfo

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky