Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows wont install, what gives?  (Read 4295 times)

capt_sinith

Windows wont install, what gives?
« on: January 01, 2006, 11:31:17 PM »
Recently, my computer crashed, and never worked again. I tryed last known good configuration, didnt work. Reinstalling, didnt work. Why didnt it work? I kept getting error messages part of the way through the installiation saying files couldn't be located on the disk. I tryed a few different versions and different copies of those versions, still no-go! So I got a few different harddrives in it, still no-go. Different CD-ROMs, still no-go. So as a last resort, I got a completely different computer, with all new parts, the only thing the same was my video card. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? 3 different versions of 2000 and XP on 3 different computers with 5 different harddrives and 4 different CD-ROMs? Should I give in and buy one of those....preassembled computers?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows wont install, what gives?
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:49:49 PM »
    Take a deep breath. :)
    Carefully assemble it with what you consider to be your best components.
    Do a clean install of Windows 2000. ;)

capt_sinith

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:04:39 AM »
    OK, after doing that, putting the disk in, i'm getting a blue screen saying "setup cannot copy the file ___.sys or ____.dll , and a few others.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:43:29 AM »

capt_sinith

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 11:35:37 PM »
      OK, it appears i had the wrong kind of RAM in. I added some before it did. So PC 100 and PC 333 dont match.   :P

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:04:33 AM »
         capt_sinith....
        OK, it appears i had the wrong kind of RAM in. I added some before it did. So PC 100 and PC 333 dont match.

Uh....no they dont .    What kind of ram was in the machine when it was working ? the PC 100 SD Ram or the PC333 DDR Ram ......
        If your using SD ram ....PC100 .......you can use PC133 as well as it is backward compatible .

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 04:40:13 AM »
        OK, it appears i had the wrong kind of RAM in. I added some before it did. So PC 100 and PC 333 dont match.   :P

Another example of why the whole story and the history of the machine is important.  :o