Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft basic display adapter / VIDEO_TDR failure: atikmpag.sys  (Read 7070 times)

sketchboard

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Issue: laptop's on-board discrete graphics card (AMD radeon 7670m) is only detected as 'Microsoft Basic Display adapter' - attempting to install drivers prompts that windows finds the current driver is most updated, does not want to install the 7670m card drivers on Hp support site

Specs:

HP envy 6-1118tx sleekbook

i7-3517u

intel hd 4000 integrated graphics

AMD Radeon 7670m discrete graphics

Windows 8.1 updated to sometime october this year

All drivers are off of the HP support site found using my device code

Problem description:

So far, the intel hd 4000 integrated graphics works normally but the discrete graphics card is only detected as 'Microsoft basic display adapter' despite my best attempts at telling windows otherwise.

When did the problem start?

over the past 2 years I wasn't able to use this computer often, but I did update to windows 10, after which a great many things didn't work, but updates and other fixes managed to fix them - except my being able to play games that needed to switch to the discrete card. I googled a little, saw that there weren't going to be win10 supported drivers for this card, so I made the choice to downgrade to win8.1 Ever since, I haven't been able to get this card going.

Attempts to fix:

Reinstalled the whole OS, about 6 times first using HP recovery, when that didn't work, wiped everything (recovery partition and all) and got an 8.1 ISO off of the microsoft website and installed that.

All driver installations and updates work until attempting to install the driver for the discrete graphics card. Installing that promptly causes BSOD and the failure prompt for ATIKMPAG.sys.

Forced attempt [1] to install the 7670m discrete card driver:

1. extract the corresponding driver from hp Support site to a directory

2. right click 'microsoft basic display adapter' > update driver

3. Choose from ..

4. point to extracted directory, 'next'

This prompts windows to say that the microsoft basic display adapter is already the most updated version

Force attempt [2] to install the 7670m discrete card driver:

1. extract the corresponding driver from hp support site to a directory

2. run setup file in that directory

This causes the setup to execute. BUT windows doesn't seem to think that's a driver.

3. right click - update offending adapter > choose from.. > choose the installation directory of step 2.

This makes windows recognize a 'AMD 7600 series display' with a yellow ! triangle, code 43.

referencing these resources:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/video-tdr-failure-atikmpag-sys-windows-10-solved/

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Getting-flickering-black-screen-and-then-BSOD-Video-TDR/m-p/6068730#064edcb2-c21a-491a-8217-02093b0fe8b8

I attempt to follow this 'expand' command. however, unlike the 'atikmpag.sys' mentioned in the second link above, I have:

2 of atikmpag.sy_ and 2 of atikmdag.sy_ (from different root directories) originating from one installation.

the atikmpag.sy_ is 500+ KB wheras the atikmdag.sy_ is 10+ MB.

I try following the instructions one by one.

expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmpag.sys

expands into a 27MB file which I place in the system32/drivers folder and restart.

This doesn't work - doesn't throw a different error, nor does it cause a BSOD. just error code 43.

expand.exe atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys

gives me a 650KB file and an error message: cannot expand atikmpag.sys onto itself.

I ignore that and put that file into system32/drivers/ and restart.

This time, it works! Sort of. the 7600m series does not show a yellow ! sign, says the device is working normally.

BUT intel hd4000 throws a code 43, yellow !.

dxdiag shows my display to be only a microsoft basic display adapter.

so no, it doesn't work.

Now, I'm at my wit's end trying to fix this. Any help would be most appreciated.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Microsoft basic display adapter / VIDEO_TDR failure: atikmpag.sys
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »
    Possible try the program Snappy Driver Installer? It's worked very well for me even when the company's own drivers did not want to install correctly.
    https://sdi-tool.org

Hope this helps,
    Anthony
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky