Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Camp Fire in California  (Read 11239 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Camp Fire in California
« on: November 09, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »
The Camp Fire in California has burned over 70,000 acres.
It started Monday near a town called Paradise in Northern California.
The city of Paradise is piratically destroyed. Some 27,000 people fled.
Information is broadcast 24-7 by KHSL and KNVN.
https://www.actionnewsnow.com/home
Also on Facebook. 

Some parts of Butte county, where I live, is having trouble with cell, internet and TV reception. Fortunately I have TV by satellite and  get a good f TV service. But my internet is very poor. My Comcast cable is not working,so  I use my cell phone hot spot, which is slow. Bu Comcast support was very nice and said they would  send out a tech on Monday.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Camp Fire in California
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
Best of luck to you, brother. Hope that nothing happens to you.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:14:14 PM »
Not to get political...but suggest to Nancy that outlawing clearcutting 10 years ago put you in this predicament

Just sayin.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »
Not to get political...but suggest to Nancy that outlawing clearcutting 10 years ago put you in this predicament

Just sayin.
Patio, you have a point. Years ago there was a practice that reduces the spread of wildfires.
When It Comes To Wildfire, Politics Lag Behind Science.
https://www.opb.org/news/article/wildfire-politics-science-washington-west/
by Cassandra Profita and Jeff Mapes  Aug. 6, 2018 Updated: Aug. 8, 2018
Last summer, the woods were on fire to the right of this trail in the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, which straddles southwestern Oregon and northern California. But the flames died out soon after crossing the path – when they reached a part of the forest that had already burned in 2012. The old fire had taken out all the plants and brush that would have served as fuel.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »
It's actually more due to drought conditions and low humidity than eliminating clearcutting.

The article Geek linked to doesn't have anything to do with clearcutting, it supports letting fires burn and not working to put them out.  That tends to clear out the underbrush and dead trees, while the healthy trees survive.  That's the current philosophy in Calf where they let the fires burn and only fight to protect homes and businesses.

Clearcutting is completely different and I personally doubt it is done anywhere in the US.  It is the practice of cutting down every tree when harvesting lumber.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Here in BC the forest fire issues are generally considered to be a result of forest management issues. Primarily, crown land is leased to logging companies for logging activity with the stipulation that they will manage the forest renewal up until a stage known as "Free to grow", when their obligation ends. At that point, the trees are, "free to grow" but nobody is actually managing the forest's continued growth which can lead to conditions that allow for wildfires to spread more quickly.

Considering there is still clearcutting in the B.C Forestry and logging industry and we still have serious yearly problems with wildfires, it doesn't appear to be necessarily related to risk factors.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
I disagree...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »
Perhaps we can agree there ought to be a better way to recce the loss oflife and property. I give  the link to show concerns have been expressed. I did not intend to say one method is better than another. The rules here in the USA can vary by region and local conditions.
IMHO,rules made by politicians are not always the best.

Back to topic.
The "camp fire" is still very active and the danger of more property damage is ever present. Temperature wind sped  conditions are bad. Here in this area we all have to listen to the radio every hour. The Sheriff of Butte county has advised all in this region to monitor the TV and Radio stations broadcasting alters.

To date, 29 people have died as a direct result of the wildfire this past week.
The one wildfire destroyed over 6,400 homes this week  :o.

(These stats will change.)

Sad to say, some of the newspapers do not correctly report the detail. I can not get Google to give me the right answer. Is it that had to parse a report?

I am wearing a face mask and staying inside  in my home  :(

Ajfer03

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Geek, I would be putting together a bug-out bag and gathering all important items and storing them in your vehicle that you would use if you need to evacuate. You have probably already thought of this but it doesn't hurt to remind.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
Geek, I would be putting together a bug-out bag and gathering all important items and storing them in your vehicle that you would use if you need to evacuate. You have probably already thought of this but it doesn't hurt to remind.
Right!
That is what they keep saying and every day I monitor the local FM station that has a constant feed from the TV station. The are doing a great job of sending out the updates from the Sheriff and the Fire Captain.
The car has gas in the tank and we keep bottled water in the trunk. I have a 'go bag' next to the front door.  ;)

glathem40

Intermediate
  • Bytor_Snowdog
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:07 PM »
    Quote from the President of the Pasadena Fire Fighters Association in response to Trumps claims the fires are caused by poor forest management.

Mr. President, with all due respect, you are wrong. The fires in So. Cal are urban interface fires and have NOTHING to do with forest management. Come to SoCal and learn the facts & help the victims. Scott Austin, Pres IAFF 809. @IAFFNewsDesk

I think I will trust the opinions of the men risking their lives fighting these fires over any crooked politician.

Wishing you the best of luck Geek !
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
    Nobody said anything about Trump...

The only person who mentioned Forest Management was me, but I wasn't talking about California. It was one of the ideas being floated around to try to solve our Forest fire problem, which has consumed over 5 million acres of BC Forests just in 2018 alone. And even then it's not considered an issue of "gross mismanagement" but rather that the processes in place are either insufficient or deleterious. Either way, conditions are going to be wildly different between the two areas; As it is now for example Timber harvesting has fallen in California since the 1990's which has led to thicker forests which present their own risks with regards to wildfires. Part of the elevated fire hazard attributed to California forests over the last few years by the California Forestry Association is the increased density paired with a larger number of dead, dry trees. There also is no commercial lumber operations taking place in state-owned lands, which isn't likely to be helping.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
    BC said:
    There also is no commercial lumber operations taking place in state-owned lands, which isn't likely to be helping.
    That is true. Fires in the areas owned and managed by commercial firms  are few and easier to contain.

My family, many years past,  once owned area near Uriah that was 6000 areas and included some commercial timber. We managed it under the rules of the state of California.  Twice we did have grass fires that got out of control, but hey never became wildfires.  We had roads into the land that allowed big Caterpillar tractors into the land. But that area is near the coast and the temperatures seldom go over 100  F in the summer.

The problem in the Sacramento valley is the high temperatures and the high winds.
    You can not stop the wind.

The red alter has now been lifted. KHSL is now back to regular programming.
     But some  fires are still burning. For info goto:
    https://www.actionnewsnow.com/
    (You can make donations using the above web site.)

The Camp Fire is now at 125,000 acres. It is still growing.
    About 46 people have died as a direct result of the fire.

Maybe in the future we can have better methods to avoid this kind of tragedy.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »
    Update about the California fires and what it might mean for you in the future.

This is from dictation. Please read this over before you conclude that it is a waste of your time.

Today I turned into the channel 12 broadcast from Chico, California. I heard two very important topics that I want to share with you here.
    This is from what I am able to remember about today's broadcast from Channel 12 with regard to the camp fire here in California.

There are two important issues that have to be resolved.
    Number one. The serious communications failure after the fire.
    Number two. The lack of responsibility of one of the biggest utility companies.
    These are not political issues, these are technical and social / legal issues that need to be resolved. To put it another way, if it happens here, it could happen where you live.

The serious communications failure.

After the fire threat had died down, the city Council of paradise met together in a safe location and tried setting up computer equipment only to find out that they could not get to their email accounts. The details for not spelled out, but it certainly is a serious problem. It could indicate a serious technical problem or else the people on the Council don't know how to use Their Own Computers.

The lack of responsibility of a major utility company.

The broadcaster I heard at noon time had an interview with one  resident in the area who says she got an email from PG&E stating that they were coming in to her property to examine power lines. She claims that the power lines were creating sparks. Details were not available. PG&E claims that those lines were disabled at that time.
    The TV commentator went on to state that PG&E had confirmed that there was an issue with one of their power lines just before the campfire started. The implication is that an oversight or error by the power company started the campfire.

This is not the first second or even third time that utility company has been accused of a lack of responsibility that is led to the loss of property and human lives. This is a very serious issue and it could have widespread implications.
    I do not have a link that goes directly to these stories. But channel 12 does have a website with all the stories and interviews available.

www.actionnewsnow.com

Please help me find the relevant links on the website that support what  I can remember about the noon newscast today.

Thank you.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 08:38:14 PM »
    The danger is not over.
    Many people have found that some parts of the City of Paradise are present a hazard.
    Also, the fire is still active  in the area near Berry Creek.
    More deaths have been confirmed.
    The smoke has spread over a large area, Residents of Sacramento have been to to wear a face mask when outdoors.
    Photos and maps of the area are up on a number of web sites. You can find them using Google Images. Here is a recent  space photo:

It is now the worst wild free in California history.  :'(
    http://time.com/5453710/california-camp-fire-deadliest-wildfires-us-history/
    EDIT: The City of Chico was not harmed. The fire closed a highway to the south of Chico. The highway is now open.