Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer connected with multiple networks same time : which priority ?  (Read 2622 times)

Travailleur

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi, I have my computer connected with 3 networks : smart wifi, LAN from mob (data SIM tethering), and voyager wifi.
    I would like to know which network my computer (windows 10) takes priority to get me to the internet.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer connected with multiple networks same time : which priority ?
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
    Performing a WhatismyIP can give you an idea of what IP your using and by looking at that info you can see what network is being used for internet access. https://www.whatismyip.com/   

When I run this website against my connection I get the following... which I altered info on to hide my actual IP etc  ;D
    Your Public IPv6 is: 2601:18c:ffff:b8d7:ffff:94e3:780f:ffff
    Your IPv4 is: 172.4.53.28
    Your Local IP is: 192.168.1.14
    ISP: Comcast Cable Communications LLC

If you want only 1 of the 3 to be used for internet connection then go into network properties and set only one of the connections to have a gateway IP. Then the outbound to internet connection will follow the connection with a gateway IP.

niketathakare

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Computer connected with multiple networks same time : which priority ?
      « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:31:06 AM »
      To do this, open the Network and Sharing Center and click on Change adapter settings in the left pane. you should see a list of network adapters. Press the Alt button (if the menu bar is not already visible) and click on the Advanced menu, and then choose Advanced settings.

A new control panel will pop up, and you should see it open to the Adapters and Bindings tab. In the top list should be a list of your network adapters, with an up and down arrow button to the right. This is the priority order of what adapter it will use when connecting to the Internet. Choose your Ethernet adapter and click the up arrow button until it shows at the top. Then click OK.