Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to recover my lost files  (Read 2967 times)

Debuu

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How to recover my lost files
    « on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
    I mistakenly formatted a system and lost my files, pls how can i recover the files. pls its urgent

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: How to recover my lost files
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to recover my lost files
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
    If those tools dont do the job then a paid for data recovery service may be needed.

The biggest thing with a drive that is formatted by accident is to stop using it immediately to avoid making any other changes to the drive until you can connect it as a external drive or secondary drive to a system that is already running healthy with the data recovery software mentioned by Allan.

If the formatted drive is written to in any way, then the initial data formatted is overwritten on the drive and based on how data is scattered on a drive based on whatever sectors were initially available to record the data means that new data can stomp on top of old data locations that are spanned scattered among the sectors and so you could have original data that is then only 99% complete as a sector holding the binary data was overwritten which can make for partial data recovery or a file that wont work anymore.

I have had good luck with Recuva, but it all comes down to if the drive is healthy and if the data was overwritten yet with new.

If the data is critical and these 2 programs cant help then you would need to send the drive out to a data recovery service and it can cost a couple hundred dollars to a healthy drive to recover data, and there is no 100% guarantee to getting all of it back!

I haven't ever used a data recovery service myself but know of others who have and to get back their data was costly So perhaps this also is a lesson learned to implement a good data backup plan.

One free offsite backup I use for my important data is Google Drive where I have 15GB of free storage. I also have a 128GB USB Drive connected to the back of my desktop with a batch file that I run to backup my data at C:\Data to E:\Data so if my hard drive crashes I can pop this 128GB Thumb Drive out and put it into another computer and continue working on projects, as well as with the 15GB cloud I can also download my data to the healthy computer I am using. So most critical data goes to the 15GB cloud and lesser importance data stored only on the 128GB drive of which up to 15GB of the cloud is also located among the 128GB thumb drive for a local and offsite copy of it.