Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do you want from this Black Friday/cyber Monday?  (Read 10004 times)

kelvinpalmer

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Experience: Experienced
    What do you want from this Black Friday/cyber Monday?
    « on: November 17, 2018, 06:47:52 AM »
    I want to buy some legit deals on security software but I can't find any good deals. Until Now, I have only found these pre-black friday deals:

• BitDefender Total Security 2019 for $89.99 and 61% off here
    • PureVPN 5 Year Deal for $79 and 88% off here
    • Passpack for 18$ from coupon here

Are these deals good? Or shall I wait for 23rd to get more discounts?

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    Re: What do you want from this Black Friday/cyber Monday?
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »
    Patience, my friend. Those deals will most likely still be there, if not even more discounted on actual black Friday.

Plus, sometimes they say something on sale when it is literally one cent lower than the original price. So be careful!
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

joeymakesmusic

Greenhorn
      • MIDINation
    « Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »
    Do you think there would be some older-gen Mac Minis on sale since the new one has come out? I want to snag some on the cheap and build a home media server for me and my parents
    Checkout my research on musician salaries here: MIDINation

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
    It would be much easier and cheaper to do this on a Windows computer. Trust me. There will be better deals and you will get more for your money if you go the windows route.
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
    In regards to the subject of: What do you want from this Black Friday/cyber Monday?

I'm actually not that excited for this years offerings. I will definitely look to see whats offered but i dont have any must have purchases.

I tried to hold off to buy a new laptop under one of these offerings, but the Digital Animation College class I am taking pushed me to buying a newer laptop sooner vs later. So I got a Lenovo Model 330 with Core i3 8130U with 8GB DDR4 and 128GB SSD instead of the other model for same price with a slow 5400 rpm 1TB Hard Drive for $349.99 on sale. https://www.staples.com/ideapad-330-81de00lcus-15-6-laptop-computer-intel-i3-128gb-ssd-8gb-ddr4-windows-10-home/product_24328358

Bought mine at Staples because the same laptop at Walmart was being sold with only 4GB RAM instead of 8GB, and 8GB is a must. The old laptop I have has 4GB RAM and its always using maximum RAM and paging to the 5400 rpm 320GB HDD. This is likely SuperFetch, but twice as much RAM for about the same price is so much better.

Only feature I dont really care for about it is that the battery is internal to the laptop and not detachable. So if I ever need to perform a hard reset without power it means I would be having to crack the case open to disconnect the battery. However, its been quite a while since i had to do that to a laptop and so not that big of an issue.

The improved GPU for Digital Animation is so much better than the Intel HD 2500 graphics i was working with prior on a Celeron 1000M laptop from black friday deal at $279.99 in 2013 at Newegg. So smooth and fast making it a very pleasant laptop to work with for creating and editing animations in Adobe Animate and Adobe Photoshop.

I will probably keep an eye out for a larger SSD which might be offered for black friday and increase this new laptops SSD capacity from 128GB to around 500GB since 128GB is kind of tight for the OS and Adobe Software Suite Bundle that I have access to under Adobe Cloud subscription.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:53 AM »
    I find the Black Friday "deals" pretty ho-hum so never even bother with them.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
    Bought my limit of 3 of these Intel 256GB SSD's at $34.99 each on Black Friday deal. Checked back a few hours later and says sold out. Hoping my order went through. Newegg status says they are in transit, so maybe I was lucky to get 3 of them at this bargain.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-167-432

Will be nice to get rid of the old 500GB Maxtor Hard Drive in my one system and have SSD speed. Then the 2 others going into laptop HDD to SSD upgrades for extended batter life and speed.  ;D

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
    I'm in the UK where Black Friday has become a thing in recent years however I almost never find anything exciting, people flock like mental buying things that are "on sale" when half the time it's available for the "sale" price most of the time or where the "was" price is ridiculously inflated.  I find myself constantly using https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/ to make sure I'm not being ripped off.

Last year on Black Friday I was in the market for a new TV.  I looked on Amazon who had decided to remove the model numbers from all the TV listings in their Black Friday sale making it impossible to compare pricing, instead, the model I was looking at was simply listed as '49" Sony 4k TV' for £650.  Thankfully they at least appear to be showing the full model numbers this year.  Not only that but the "was" price was listed as £1100, sounds like a great deal until you realise that it was only £1100 at launch 8 months before and had been sitting around the £700 mark in the days leading up to Black Friday having been sold for even less than £650 in the past.  I ended up getting the exact same model in Costco for £629 despite them not even having a Black Friday sale on.

Nowadays I'll still take a look in the Black Friday sales but I'll always be cautious and only buy something if it is a genuinely good deal.