Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble with display after updating gpu, generic drivers work  (Read 2563 times)

Gbutche

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Trouble with display after updating gpu, generic drivers work
    « on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
    Hi guys, this is my first post so I'm sorry if the format is very messy and if my english is not good. A few days ago I finally got my first self built PC to launch and all was working well until I decided to update my nvidia drivers and restart my computer. After doing that, every time i get past bios it gives me "no signal detected" or it starts with very low resolution and some artifacts. However, if i uninstall the drivers and restart the resolution is fine and there is no artifacts, but the driver in device manager is listed as microsoft basic display adapter, and as soon as I update problems continue. So far the only way I can consistently get a video out is if I use ddu to uninstall the nvidia drivers in safe mode and then I reboot and don't update the drivers. The cpu I have does not have an integrated graphics card so I do not know why the display is completely fine up until I update to nvidia

I have tried:

Reinstalling drivers and using ddu in safe mode

Reinstalling older drivers

Cleaning out my gpu slot and gpu

Switching the gpu to a different pce slot

Replacing the power cords for the gpu

Completely reinstalling Windows

Reset the CMOS

Updating bios

I have looked at other solutions online and none of them seem to work. All the parts are relatively new or have never been used so I don't understand why this is happening now. I am able to run some games but performance is not nearly as good without the nvidia drivers. It is driving me crazy. Has anyone else had this problem or knows of a fix?

This what I currently have in the pc:

CPU: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Memory: VENGEANCE® LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz C13 Memory Kit

Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (OS installed here)

Storage: (2x) WDC WD5000AAkX-001CA0 HDD 500GB

Video card: Ztoac Nvidia GeForce gtx 780ti

Case: CM 690 II Plus

Power Supply: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trouble with display after updating gpu, generic drivers work
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
    Reinstall the drivers from the CD taht shipped with the card...reboot.

Newer drivers ain't always better drivers...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Trouble with display after updating gpu, generic drivers work
    « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 08:26:22 PM »
    You could try SDI (Snappy Driver Installer). Because as patio stated, newer isn't always better, and there is all sorts of drivers in the libraries. It can also detect if a driver that is older would work better with your newer hardware. The best part is, it is open source and free. You can pick it up here. https://sdi-tool.org/

If you are going to be looking to be building more computers than just this one, I would consider downloading the full version and keeping on a larger USB stick or external hard drive. It is a good program for troubleshooting because it can almost always find a driver for what you need, even when Microsoft can't find them.
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky