Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer beeping problem...  (Read 2569 times)

Gemini23

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer beeping problem...
    « on: November 18, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »
    Not sure if this is hardware or software... or if there are any programmes to check to establish what the exact problem is?

My partner has a Packard Bell Desktop - it has had some slow loading, operating and shutting down issues but it seems to have resolved itself - or nothing obvious. The Recycling Bin had a file in it seemed to cause one issue and the recycling didn't want to empty (but has now emptied).

There is a now a problem where intermittent and continuous beeping starts... carries on for a few minutes... and then stops. As this evening - we weren't even using the computer - it was switched on - and it suddenly starts beeping - in fact more like a squeaking-beep - not the same as a start-up beep. and continuous beeping without any pattern of a number of beeps. Then, just as it starts - it stops.

Cannot see anything obvious in the task manager.

I fear it is a precursor to a greater problem - for the moment it is simply annoying... but trying to get to the bottom of what is causing it...

The computer is
    System Packard imedia S3800
    Motherboard - Packard FIH57
    Memory 0.5 GB free of 3 GB @ 1.3 GHz
    Display 1366 x 768 - 32 Bit colors
    OS Windows 10
    BIOS Date 20091223

anyone?

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer beeping problem...
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
    Well for one, the BIOS date is wrong.  ;D

The first thing I would do would be to install Avast! anti-virus and do a full scan of your computer to determine if it is a virus or malicious program causing this issue. If there is nothing, it most likely has something to do with the hardware side of things.

Be sure to post back here if there was any results!

Try opening up the computer's BIOS settings so that way you are not in any operating system environment, so that way there should be no sound coming through the attached speakers. Leave the computer in this state for a while to make sure that no beeps can be heard. If you hear beeps while the computer is idling at this BIOS page, it is most likely something hardware related. If you don't then it probably something to do with your Windows Installation.

Hope everything works out!
    Anthony

P.S. This is off topic but that computer seems to be getting a little dated. If your partner is using this for their main driver, I would be looking to upgrade if you had the capacity to! Would make a great gift! ;D
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky