Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 of 3 devices connected wirelessly, problem with desktop computer, help!  (Read 2724 times)

Siggi Trust

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi ladies and gentlemen.
    I just moved into a new apartment and got a router connected with high speed internet (whatever you call that, you know, the other box). It's not really high speed, just 50 Mbps.

So I've connected my laptop and phone and it works or at least the connection is stable with a stable 50mbps speed. The problem is however, connecting the desktop PC wirelessly. I had an old network card I tried and it found the router but it shifted from having a level 3 strength down to nothing and no matter the strength, it just said 'Can't connect to this network'.

So I figured it was a problem with my old network card, as I saw online, it seems the latest driver for it was from 2013 and stuff, so I bought a USB connected one (just the cheapest one). It found the router with full strength and it connected (the other one connected once for a minute but never again). So I thought it was fixed. But now the signal strength is constant at level 3-4 and it seems to be connected to the router just fine....but just like every second website is loading....like it disconnects just momentarily and reconnects again. Still there's no change on the signal or anything.
    I speedtested and I was getting a max around 40Mbps. I'm not looking for any amazing speed but just need a stable connection.

So my laptop has not had this problem and it seems to work fine anywhere in the apartment. However, I tried watching the local TV online, the direct broadcast or whatever, and it lagged. It played for 20 seconds, lagged for 5-6 seconds and continued constantly like this. The speedtest on the lap is still a constant around 50.

So I don't get it....any of it. I've called the internet provider 4 times and they can't see anything wrong. I don't know maybe it could be the other box, the high speed thing which is a different provider of course. But the router is there, it connects, my lap shows full strength, websites load etc but had a problem with that stream on the local TV station site. Then my desktop is just all around the place. Seems to be better with that new network card but I'm trying to diagnose what the main culprit is.

Hope this makes any sense, networking isn't my specialty really. But I'm desperate.....you know, home is where the internet is and all that.

Thank you, any ideas are welcome.
    Regards, ST

Ajfer03

Intermediate
    • Your everyday nerd.
      • Yes
    Re: 2 of 3 devices connected wirelessly, problem with desktop computer, help!
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
    Do you have an Ethernet jack on your laptop? If so, try connecting to the router with that and try testing it out. This is obviously not a long term solution, but just try it with troubleshooting. It is most likely the laptop. On your other devices, try doing the same things that you did on your laptop and see if the problem persists. If you don't have any other devices you can use for this test that connect to the router wirelessly, then maybe borrow a friends.

If the other device connects fine and can watch local TV without interruption, it is your computer or your USB wireless adapter. (Cheap ones don't always work well, and if it is small and flat, you probably won't get very good performance out of it.)

If the other device has connection issues similar to what your laptop is going through, it is your router.

Hope you figure something out!
    Anthony
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

Siggi Trust

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
      yep. I found my long cable and connected directly and everything works. So it's definitely the Wireless Adapter I suppose or the computer is in a bad location for getting a signal. The computer is actually behind my three monitors I don't know if that's blocking the signal at all or has any say in it. There's also a small wall between the computer and the router. It still says the signal is good so I don't know what's up. I guess I'll just have to purchase a stronger adapter.

Thanks for the reply.

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
      No problem! Like I said, if the adapter is a small one that only pokes out of the USB port by like half a centimeter, then it it most likely the case. You should get one that has a visible antenna.
      "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky