Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TP Link Switch Wiring  (Read 3202 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    TP Link Switch Wiring
    « on: November 25, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
    Trying to replace a SPT Switch, in my Office/Room that was just a standard SPT Switch but, can't all ways get to the switch.  I connected the ground, netural an live wire but, I still have one live wire an connected it with only those three an it's not switching.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: TP Link Switch Wiring
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »
    Are you talking about some sort of mains wired smart wall switch?  While I'm not against DIY electrics (I mean, I do loads of mine myself) I'd strongly say that if you aren't confident enough to do this yourself, PLEASE consult a qualified electrician.  This isn't one of these situations where it's reasonable to just follow instructions along the lines of "connect wire x to terminal y" from someone on a forum, in order to do something like this safely, you would need to familiarise yourself with how a lighting circuit is wired in your country/area and then figure out the specifics of the system in your property. Before I attempt my any of my own electrical work (or plumbing.etc for that matter) I make sure that I have read up on everything around that specific topic (including the appropriate regulations) and then make sure that I understand exactly how the circuit I'm working on is wired before I attempt anything.  If there was even a single wire where I didn't know what it did, I'd stop and get an electrician in.  With electrical in particular, there's a lot of nuances where you can wire something up that appears to work perfectly but underneath is an accident waiting to happen.

For an electrician this would be a 10 minute job so it's unlikely to cost the earth to get one to come and help you fit it.  If someone screws up something with their computer, the worst case is they break something and possibly lose data, messing up mains electrics can result in loss of property or life.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
    This is from dictation.
    bob1286,
    Your post is very hard to understand. I think you are not talking about computers. Maybe you are talking about a light switch in your office. Lacking details, I am just going to assume that you want to have a remote switch for a lamp in your office.
    The proper way to install a new switch is to run wires through the wall in accord with local building codes. Do not know of any method for running a light switch extension through exposed wiring.

Anyway, here in the United States a common practice is to have two light switches control one light or possibly electrical outlet. This is done by using switches that are called two-way switches. You have to buy them in pairs and they have to be used in pairs.

At your local hardware store you may find someone that will advise you as to how to install a pair of two-way switches to control one lamp or possibly one wall socket. Bear in mind that the reading on ordinary light switches handle 15A or less.

Here is a YouTube video that explains how a pair of two-way switches are used control a single lamp. He starts out with the use of a one way switch that controls the lamp and then shows you how to replace that one way switch with a pair of two-way switches. I hope this is of some help to you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcqo3HpsO8

How you considered a wireless Light control?
    Amazon has some for about $30.
    Search for
    Wireless Outdoor Remote Control Outlet
    Or
    Remote electrical Light Switch
    and you will find it.
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:36:44 PM by Geek-9pm »

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »
    Just my 2p worth but I really don't think we should be assisting with topics like this on this forum.

Here is a YouTube video that explains how a pair of two-way switches are used control a single lamp. He starts out with the use of a one way switch that controls the lamp and then shows you how to replace that one way switch with a pair of two-way switches. I hope this is of some help to you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcqo3HpsO8
    This video is a prime example of what freaks me out about people following instructions to do their own electrics without actually learning anything.  It doesn't explain any of the theory of multiway switching and instead just explains it in terms of "connect the grey wire here, then connect the blue wire here."  In order to explain it properly, there would need to be schematics that show and explain the theory of how it all works.  It also makes no mention of the different ways that a lighting circuit can be wired in the UK (the video shows a UK system) - it just assumes that the property uses the "loop in at ceiling rose" method so if I was to follow this in my property which uses the "loop in at switch" method things wouldn't match up.  In the system he shows the blue wire at the switch (with a bit of brown sleeving/tape on it) is the switched live, in my system all blue wires at the switch are neutral and both the permanent live and switched live will be brown.  In this situation, at best someone blindly following the video would get a bit confused, at worst they're going to connect "the blue wire" to one of the switch terminals and create a L-N short (i.e. BANG!).

Of course, the other issue is that it's a video that shows UK wiring to someone who as far as I'm aware is based in the US/Canada where wiring is completely different.  Electrics in the UK are pretty much as different from the US as you can get.