Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft store, and other services, such as updates etc. no internet  (Read 5721 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Greetings,

As the title states, i have a PC that claims no internet connection from the Microsoft store, updates, news etc. while it connects just fine to the internet and through Firefox. im running the latest version of windows 10, downloaded and installed sunday night.

any help offered is greatly appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Microsoft store, and other services, such as updates etc. no internet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »
I just did a clean build today with latest Win 10 Home 64-bit and no problems with store connection. Maybe reboot modem and router to make sure nothing strange going on with traffic. My hulu acts up occasionally where no connection and a reboot of broadband modem and router fixes it. Its weird that when this happens everything else works fine and its not just the roku because even going to hulu at a pc cant get there. But after reboot of home network it comes back into it and works.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
My recent internet problems are like what DaveLembke said above.
My Internet is with Comcast and they have had some issues because of the recent  fire here in northern California. They indicated that the system is under stress. Partly because they offered free hot spots for people that had to lease their homes.

Of course, each area can have it's own n issues with connectivity. And the browser might not have the exact cause of the trouble.

Comcast users in the USA can check with this ink:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/

Back in June they had a mayor issue on the east cost
Comcast Deals With Major Outage Nationwide

Other services should have a page that reports outages by region. Call the 800 support number service of your  provider.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
I just did a clean build today with latest Win 10 Home 64-bit and no problems with store connection. Maybe reboot modem and router to make sure nothing strange going on with traffic. My hulu acts up occasionally where no connection and a reboot of broadband modem and router fixes it. Its weird that when this happens everything else works fine and its not just the roku because even going to hulu at a pc cant get there. But after reboot of home network it comes back into it and works.

I'm not sure exactly where the issue is. Sadly I have no access to the router/modem whatever it is. I reinstalled windows on two machines. My main and a extra unit i have. Ive been experimenting with some of the videos that an ex Microsoft employee known on youtube as Nerdgasm, in order to as he calls it "takes back control of my machine" . I installed Spypot anti beacon and something called Destroy windows 10 spying Utility. Both applications disable windows telemetry, spying ad targetting etc.

i think the second application "Destroy windows 10 spying utility" is causing my issues. but i cant be certain. After enabling that application, killing automatic updates etc. The store worked, but when i attempted to search something i got the same error again. However after a restart everything worked fine again.

on my main unit i didnt install any of that this time (but the first time i did have that issue) so im not able to see if it was a issue of this software or not. Both machines software wise where setup identically, aside from my main one runs on WIFI and the secondary test unit ran from ethernet from my laptop.

Anyone have experience in shutting down these types of services? i have linked the two vidoes i have used for references below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKJMsJ-6XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

Feel free to have a look.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 03:03:14 PM »
What protection apps do you have and whens the last time you updated/scanned ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »
What protection apps do you have and whens the last time you updated/scanned ? ?

What do you mean? Are you asking Anti Virus? I dont have any, and I've never had any. Its also a clean install because i replaced my SSD.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »
What you described in the original post- being unable to use any Internet features from within any Store apps or the Store itself is entirely consistent with the results from the sort of software you described.

Barnacules Nerdgasm is indeed an ex Microsoft employee. This does not, however, preclude the possibility that he has no idea what he is talking about.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 06:45:34 AM »
+ 1 ...

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
What you described in the original post- being unable to use any Internet features from within any Store apps or the Store itself is entirely consistent with the results from the sort of software you described.

Barnacules Nerdgasm is indeed an ex Microsoft employee. This does not, however, preclude the possibility that he has no idea what he is talking about.

A few things. Ive used his stuff since windows 10 was released and had no issues. As i mentioned above, after trying a fresh install on two machines, my main and a secondary reinstalling both apps i couldnt fully recreate the problems with his tools.

secondly. Perhaps there's some truth to that, perhaps there isnt. He is at least offering a solution to the spying that windows does, instead of saying people don't know what they are doing.

I asked for a second opinion because this is the first time I've had an issue with any of his tools, as when there are issues, his main followers provide feedback.

If he doesn't know what he's saying, what options do you have then to kill spying on the OS?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
Ive used his stuff
fyi- None of the software or utilities are written by him.

Perhaps there's some truth to that, perhaps there isnt. He is at least offering a solution to the spying that windows does, instead of saying people don't know what they are doing.
He is jumping on the youtube gravy train by making content he knows people want to view. The "solution" is primarly to use Windows 10 Pro and disable these features; I used Group Policy Editor to set the "Allow Telemetry" setting to 0 - Security. Then I also ran Task Scheduler as Local System and removed/disabled as many scheduled tasks as I could find. Since I suspect those could be reset by a Feature Update, I also added added registry settings to configure the Execution policies of wsqmcons.exe and compattelrunner.exe.  (There are a few others, mostly because I found them annoying, like MusNotificationUX.exe which takes over the screen and fades it out and insists you go to Windows Update when there are updates available). None of it required third party tools.

Third party tools don't offer much of a solution for Home Edition either. Their "fixes" typically just directly set the same registry keys that would be set by using Group Policy Editor or perhaps re-enable GPEdit.msc, which sounds fine except that Home Edition doesn't check and use those policies to begin with.

"Destroy Windows 10 Spying" also has a delicious irony, since it has a phone home function that will connect to renessans.bz to check for a payload, if one is available it will download it, compile it, and execute it. Since the program requires Administrator permission in order to arbitrarily add firewall rules and change the HKLM settings it adjusts, that means whoever controls renessans.bz controls every single person's PC that is running this utility.

I asked for a second opinion because this is the first time I've had an issue with any of his tools, as when there are issues, his main followers provide feedback.

Well, The utility in question Adds Firewall rules that block over 100 IP Addresses and nearly 400 Domains. Presumably, some parts of Windows and UWP depend on those, or use them to check for connectivity to the Internet. Perhaps it sometimes works because the list is incomplete and it doesn't always check for connectivity with a Domain that is listed.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »
BC_Programmer,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate that. i know none of the actual software is his, and I know in a way, he is seeking youtube views. However, it does bother me that this is the path that Microsoft has chosen. Back when 10 was first released I had installed it on a few boxes and a few i left running 7, and it really frustrated me when Microsoft forced the upgrade on users. I instantly noticed defender deleting files claiming to be trojans when they where not, (old XP software that 10 thought i had "hacked") and the ads and such annoyed me. Not to mention, when i was on a capped internet connection and it would force download these games and other applications i did not want on my tiny 128gb SSD.

I am running a pro version, as the machine i have it running on is an old Xeon Workstation machine. I will try and perhaps avoid using "DEstroy windows 10 Spying" for now, and try out your suggestions. I do again, thank you for being detailed with them. Much appreciated.

Have you any opinions on SpyBot Antibeacon?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Malwarebytes flagged it right away as a PUP for that spybot antibeacon... stopped when I saw that . I was going to check it out but Malwarebytes jumping in means it is likely not clean.  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
SpyBot hasn't been relevant in about 8 years or so...

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Malwarebytes flagged it right away as a PUP for that spybot antibeacon... stopped when I saw that . I was going to check it out but Malwarebytes jumping in means it is likely not clean.  ;D

hmm. interesting... thanks for sharing. I did lie earlier cause I have malware bytes, but I don't have it on for constant scan as its the free version.

Going through the group policy editor now, just we'll see how fast its all enabled again. I disabled virus protection from defender, and within a few days it was turned back on again. I Shouldn't have to box with my computer like its a child that does what it pleases haha.

none the less, ill get to work.