Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Slimline or Dell Vostro?  (Read 2939 times)

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    HP Slimline or Dell Vostro?
    « on: November 30, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
    I bought 2 computers for personal use, and will only keep one.

The first is a Dell Vostro Small desktop, which should last longer since it is a business PC. The downside is it's only got a 8th Gen i3 processor-- which does get a little slow even with normal tasks. It also does not connect with 5G wi-fi, so I would need to get an adapter (for $25-50?) -- which is fine since this is the cheaper option anyway at only about $300 (it was cheaper a few days ago.

The 2nd option is a HP Slimline (https://www.staples.com/hp-slimline-290-p0056-desktop-pc/product_24330668 ), which appears to have good reviews. It would be faster with its i5 processor, and it is compatible with 5G wifi, so I wouln't need to buy anything extra. This one cost me about $360. My only concern with this one is that it may not last as long as a business computer-- Dell tells me the Vostro's are meant to last longer than their consumer models, and I understand this is typically the case.

Both of them are slim desktops, which hopefully is not a bad thing..

Which would you recommend?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HP Slimline or Dell Vostro?
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
    As long as you're not using them for something absolutely mission critical or using them in a hostile environment, chances are they will both outlast their useful life.  While I'm a normally a big fan of going for business machines for their quality, Vostros aren't particularly special - they are Dell's entry level business line and are often based off of their Inspiron line.  You really need to go up to their Optiplex desktops or Latitude laptops to notice a quality difference.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
    Worth considering that Dell stated that their Vostro's are meant to last longer than *their* consumer models- that rather cleverly doesn't say anything about how they would compare to *HP*'s consumer models.

Either way i have "consumer" model systems that lasted for 15+ years so I wouldn't even consider there to be much difference. The main difference I'd expect is build quality which would apply mostly depending on  how the system is treated. Business laptops tend to live longer than consumer laptops even in normal use.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
    The downside is it's only got a 8th Gen i3 processor-- which does get a little slow even with normal tasks.

I have, as one of my computers, a Core 2 Duo Dell laptop running Debian 8 (Jessie). It zips through my idea of "normal" tasks.