Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trying to save my laptop  (Read 3232 times)

anikin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    trying to save my laptop
    « on: December 02, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
    Hi, I'm Anikin

So I got a virus or at lease I think I got one.
    My laptop just won't turn on. I tried all the trouble shooting tricks but nothing. I was thinking to take it to a service repair shop but, what if it doesn't work? Then I spent my money for nothing.

My question is, where does a virus live? Is it in one part of the computer or the whole thing? Can I replace a part? For example, if it's on one of the drives I could change them out. Would that work?

Is this a viable solution or should I just scrap the thing?

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: trying to save my laptop
      « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
      I recommend you read this:

What is a virus? https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/v/virus.htm
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
      If the computer doesnt physically turn on then its likely a hardware failure of some kind. Does this system not turn on at all or just doesnt boot the OS properly but otherwise you see power light(s) lit etc to indicate that its trying to boot?

Ajfer03

Intermediate
      • Your everyday nerd.
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
      A virus does not "live" on any part or thing. It is a string of numbers that are on some type of storage, like a hard drive, USB flash Drive, CD, DVD, Solid State Drive, etc.

If it was a particularly harmful virus, you would still be able to see lights and most likely your manufacturer's logo when you hit the power button, and then maybe you would get an error message of some kind.

Usually, you are able to boot into Windows, as in get to your desktop, but there is either an error message or random pop-ups. That is the work of a virus.

If the computer is not turning on or not showing any lights or any electrical activity at all, this could indicate a bigger problem. Once you become more experienced in what a virus is and the basics of a laptop, I do not recommend doing anything to your laptop. If I were you, I would try talking to a family member or friend who if familiar with these things and ask them to take a look. If that doesn't work, then I would bring it to a repair shop.

To answer my question, please post back on this thread letting me know if there is any lights or sounds coming from your laptop when you attempt to turn it on!
      "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

anikin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »
        The power lights come on and I can hear the hard drive  disk.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
        Do you have the system recovery software to install clean install. Also does the display show a logo at boot at all or always a black screen with nothing shown?

If you get a system logo and then nothing boots after that, then if you have the installation media you can install a repair installation which would save your data and install the OS clean. If you dont ever see anything displayed then either the system never POSTS to BIOS or the backlight or display itself is dead. If this laptop has a HDMI or VGA port, you can connect the laptop to a TV or another monitor for a desktop computer and see if you get a display shown. If you see a display on a different display but never the laptop then the display or display backlight is dead. If the computer can be used with the external display then you can use it that way or repair the display issue which usually requires people to bring it to someone else who is skilled in backlight or complete display replacements.

Given how cheap laptops are for a lower processing power/spec laptop. Many find that its best to buy a new laptop for around $400 USD vs pay someone $150-$200 to install a replacement display. If your laptop however is a top of the line $1000 or more laptop that is less than 3 years old it might be worth going the display replacement/repair route. If laptop is still covered by a warranty then exercise the warranty to get a new healthy laptop or this one repaired by the manufacturer.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
        More info on the laptop hardware...age...what OS...what happened prior to this etc.  etc...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "