Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What are the best ways to make new friends?  (Read 12350 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What are the best ways to make new friends?
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
Please do not say Facebook.  :-X
The Internet can be a very bad place.
Here a few good ones...
    Take a hike.
    Get involved in a sport or activity club.
    Join a book club.
    Volunteer.
    Join a MeetUp.
    Talk to your neighbors.
    Strike up conversations.
    Walk your dog.
Source:
https://liveboldandbloom.com/05/self-confidence/ways-meet-new-people
Yes, that is an Internet site, but they do not commend Internet.
The last time I had to extend myself in the friendship department was nearly 30 years ago when I spent a couple of years in New York City.
When you're in your twenties, meeting new people doesn't seem so daunting. I had a full-time corporate job in a big city, and there were plenty of opportunities and fun places to meet new people.
What would add to this list?  :)

Ajfer03

Intermediate
  • Your everyday nerd.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: What are the best ways to make new friends?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:57:34 PM »
Honestly, just get out more and visit new places.

College is a good place to meet new people as well, but not everyone is gonna go to college to make friends. Lol. But if someone were to be considering going to college and had sufficient funds to do so, then I would recommend it because you can definitely make good friends, if not find a significant other. Not the most easy of routes, but it is basically high school all over again.
"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take." -Wayne Gretzky

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
I've made a bunch of friends in online games such as World of Warcraft as well as social online virtual places like on Second Life and IMVU. Then they became later friended on facebook. But I dont look for friends on facebook. And actually I dont really look for friends trying to find friends ect. If I bump into someone cool along my travels and we hit it off chatting and stuff then it can become a friendship of hanging out again to chat more or game more etc.

Lots of good people out there and not sure what your looking for in a friendship etc but there are people of all types out there.

nightrunner

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
    It's much easier when you're at college/university. You're hanging out with your buddies and they introduce you to their friends etc. And it's definitely a bit tougher to make friends without any existing social connections, if you're on the shyer end (like me). That's why volunteering helped me a lot.
    Another option is to join local fanclubs (if you're a geek) and conventions, concerts and other events.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »
    I am reminded of the lonely man who rubbed a magic bottle, and a genie appeared and said, "I will grant you one thing. You can choose either to get one true friend or a billion dollars". The man said "I'll take the billion dollars". The genie said "OK, but I thought you were a man who values friendship". The guy said "I am. With a billion dollars, I'll have lots of true friends".

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
    I am reminded of the lonely man  .... The guy said "I am. With a billion dollars, I'll have lots of true friends".
    I have $15. What can I get?  ???

Fabdi

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
    I used to get acquainted through the Internet. It is convenient and fast. In addition, this way you can quickly understand whether you are suitable for each other or not. I even met a girlfriend through the Internet. After a long search, I still found her. We communicated daily for about a month. Then we decided to meet. Now we are building relationships.
    As for friends, the best of friends since childhood.

yulan

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 12:01:47 AM »
    The best way I think will be honest, polite, respect etc. which I find not many can match or meet the requirements, online or offline, I think people are the same people, online or offline, the same dangerous or proceed with caution. I once have a IMVU account, but it got deleted after some years which i was offline, I mean off the internet after computer died, along with family issue etc., anyway I did not deleted my account, I still want to use it, I have a huge group there with thousands members but, I feel disappointed with IMVU to what they did to my account, I don't like facebook but I still have one account but I got no friends there anyway, only 1 friend at this moment, maybe 2 shortly because I joined a group and the leader is friending me but I'm thinking what we don't ever chatted anything yet, sometimes I see people as spy... easily... am I the only one who would think this way? Maybe~

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 06:43:59 PM »
    Yulan,
    I Like your post. Thank you.

Many may fine this helpful:

Fed Up with Facebook? Here are 6 Alternatives

By Andrew Braun – Posted on May 19, 2019 in Internet
    There are always Twitter and Google+, but if either of those appealed to you, you’d already be there. There are a few other options, though: social media sites that haven’t gotten much traction yet but that offer better privacy and more control and just might help you to partially fill that Facebook-shaped void in your life.

His list includes: Sociall.io, Ello, Minds, and three others. Take a look.