Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Upgrades and Win7 Driver Support  (Read 10578 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Computer Upgrades and Win7 Driver Support
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
I've been eyeing up the new i9 9900K as a likely candidate for an upgrade path for my aging FX-8350 (I'm 90% sure that these are the same socket j/k). At present I'm pretty sure that this is the path that I'll take but I still use Windows 7. What sort of driver headaches and loss of function am I/might I be going to see?

On a side note do you agree with my selected CPU? Would you choose a thread ripper instead?

I'm not sure if this fits under the driver topic or hardware topic, so moderators I will not be offended if this thread gets moved.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer Upgrades and Win7 Driver Support
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
Hi

Well first off your current motherboard will not take a Intel Core i9-9900K. So you would need a new motherboard and memory.
Newer motherboards are dropping Windows 7 driver support so you will not be able to run windows 7 .
I wonder why you need to upgrade? What are the other components in the system?
Perhaps there is other parts of your present system you could upgrade.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
I've been eyeing up the new i9 9900K as a likely candidate for an upgrade path for my aging FX-8350 (I'm 90% sure that these are the same socket j/k). At present I'm pretty sure that this is the path that I'll take but I still use Windows 7. What sort of driver headaches and loss of function am I/might I be going to see?

On a side note do you agree with my selected CPU? Would you choose a thread ripper instead?

It's my profile PC and other than a new graphics card there is nothing more to be done, new build time. A new graphics card is also planned but nothing beyond a GTX 1070Ti so no driver issues there.

What I really want to know is any info from anyone else who has already hit this wall. I realise that I can't Win7 forever but I would rather go back to DOS than have to use Win10

Fun fact: Windows 7 is actually Windows 6.1 and Windows 10 is 7 by version number.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
Newer motherboards are dropping Windows 7 driver support so you will not be able to run windows 7 .

Keep in mind this is a broad assumption...

P.S. Until you select the MBoard we cam't say either way...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
Forgetting the Driver issue there is a few other issues which are driver independent.

Have a look here   https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4012982/the-processor-is-not-supported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

Also if you have a windows 7 OEM version you won't be able to transfer the licence to a new machine.

If you want to have a STABLE platform, I would look at getting a 6th generation Intel CPU like the  i7 7700 with a compatible motherboard maybe a  Asus PRIME B250M-A. You will also need new ram.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
You are scare-mongering...for what reasons i have no idea...

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
Just trying to explain some of the problems Accessless may face if they upgrade with the I9 or Thread ripper. I think it was what was asked by 

So if what i have said is "scare-mongering" I apologize.

― John Bunyan

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:56:12 PM »
Just to add some info here.

Microsoft dropped support for Windows 7 and 8.1 early for some more recent Processors. Effectively the way this was done was such that if Windows Update detects a later model CPU, Windows Update will block all updates and will give you a dialog that encourages you to upgrade to Windows 10.

This issue can be bypassed, however- You see, Windows Update didn't come with that feature- it was part of it's own separate update. One can uninstall and block KB4012218 and KB4012219 which added this feature to Windows Update and Windows 7 will continue to receive updates even on unsupported processors.

There is also tooling to automate this on Windows 7 and 8.1, found here, which works with said update installed. It effectively patches things so that the cached result that is used to check for CPU Support is always true. This lets you install all the updates that come out as if you had an earlier model "supported" processor.

Of course, one cannot expect any help from MS if you have issues.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »
Of course, one cannot expect any help from MS if you have issues.

That can be said for Win 10 as well... ;D

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:26:11 PM »
Asus PRIME Z370-A

I have bought the graphics card for now, will see how I go on just that.

myyskie

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 12:50:23 AM »
    Yes better go with windows 10, windows 7 & 8 support will be drop and windows 10 will stay alive and will continuously be supported, MS say windows 10 will be the last OS they will produce and as long there's a user of it they will continue to support, and that i9 is a beast you should go for that :) good luck.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 03:42:28 AM »
    The CPU might have been a mistake. I'm waiting to see what the new 7nm Ryzen 3 has to offer (Ryzen 3000). At least with the new graphics card I don't have to crank my resolution down to 1280x720 (720p).