Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop boot problems when i finally get laptop to boot it runs like a champ  (Read 1923 times)

jimbean

Topic Starter

Rookie

screen will be blank until it finally boots
    laptop boot problems when i finally get laptop to boot it runs like a champ
    Battery is fully charged and i can run the laptop off of the charger

I have to turn on laptop most times over night and let it just sit that way, the laptop doesn`t boot and there is no hard drive activity light indicating it`s booting without a screen
    so if i leave laptop running all night and then restart the next morning {have to push power button a couple of times for a couple of restart tries}
    it will finally boot and then run windows 10 without issue for at least a couple of days
    i haven`t tried it  longer then a couple of days running
    nothing in the USB ports to stop boot
    flashed to latest Bios after this happened no joy
    the laptop is way out of warranty
    Is there a way to test hard drive/ L.C.D/motherboard  what software should i use
    and i have done most test Defrag, Scandisk,  Antivirus, Memory test
    removed everything from laptop Hard Drive  Memory CPU and reset them
    and thank you for reading post any help would be great

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    I have a older Core i7 Dell that acts similar to yours but I found that if at first boot when nothing is displayed I hold the power button to force shut it down and then less than a second after the LEDs go out tap the button again it will boot for me and like yours runs healthy with no lag or crash conditions.

My laptop has an issue with its main board. Tried different power supply thinking it was a low voltage condition maybe, but voltage is correct. It seems as though with my main board something needs to be either pre-warmed or pre-charged so that at successful boot say capacitors arent completely drained yet etc.

Cost of fixing my laptop is $220 for a main board and I can live with mine being this way because it was given to me from its prior owner that claimed it was dead. I searched all over the main board expecting to find a culprit to the cause of the issue such as liquid damage from a spilled drink etc, but no physical damage.

With my laptop that is picky at boot if I leave it running and never have it shut down or never go into a sleep or hibernation state it will run without problems for weeks.

While it could be seen as a waste of electricity, what happens if you leave your laptop running and have its power settings set to never sleep or hibernate and always run and never shut down? Would it run for weeks or months without problems like my Core i7 Dell laptop?

Lastly... Have you changed the RAM from the RAM that came with it or upgraded it mixing RAM? It was suggested in another forum on my laptop to try different RAM as it might be a timing issue at boot with the memory causing a black screen and failed boot. I swapped out my RAM and the condition remained so thats why I know its my main board. Additionally my laptop can run memtest86 for days without any issues so. It is what it is. Fortunately I have better healthier laptops so its not my only laptop, and for a free laptop that takes a special boot sequence I can live with that warm-boot type of requirement that mine needs.

jimbean

Topic Starter

Rookie

First: Thank You
      what you are saying sounds about right
      and im going to say solved because i to believe its a board problem
      But mine has issues when it hot or not {no boot screen or monitor activity}
      i left it running for the last 3 days with the lid partially closed because i was testing lcd screen for problems also and the screen closed when,
      I dont know but it was running {indicator lights were on} but the laptop went into hibernation and wont start,
      This has happened before so im not worried about future boots  it wiill boot again tomorrow probably :)
      mine has 2 sticks ram one, 2 gig and one, 1 gig ive have not added anything but i have move the memory around in 1 slot or the other with different configurations no joy
      still thats not replacing yet
      ive removed everthing and tried to boot no joy
      and thanks for good advice
      Quote:I like to break desktops i dont even like to look at laptops at all,  5 dead ones and counting