Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word files - how to keep them from auto sorting  (Read 3492 times)

mygenericemail349

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Word files - how to keep them from auto sorting
    « on: December 07, 2018, 07:24:12 AM »
    I know Word files placed into folders will auto sort themselves one way or another.

Is there a way to stop this?  I need to place files in a folder in exact order they are saved in there.....sorting them will mess up the system I need for this particular work process.

???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Word files - how to keep them from auto sorting
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »
    The sort is a part of the operating system file manager.
    You can either alter the sort order or use a custom file manager.
    Look at this:
    EDIT: Better link.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article/355399/10-tips-how-to-manage-your-files-with-windows-10s-file-exp

Maybe that will help.  8)
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:31:57 AM by Geek-9pm »

Salmon Trout

Re: Word files - how to keep them from auto sorting
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »
    The files are not really in any particular order. When you look at the files in a folder using Windows Explorer, the default "sort order" that you see is by name, alphabetical order, ascending, with upper case sorting before lower case. This is one way of sorting. In Windows Explorer, you can change the order in which you view the files. You click View in the menu bar and then you see a "Sort by" button and you can select the order you want to see. Either "Date created" or "Date modified" will be the one you want. If you choose "Details" as the view mode, you can just click on the column headers to change the sort order.