Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Kills Edge Browser.  (Read 95422 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Microsoft Kills Edge Browser.
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
The title says it: Microsoft Kills Edge Browser.
You find it on Google or your favorite search tool.  8)
I was wanted to say 'Why am I not supersized' ; but that is dishonest. because I am surprised.  :o I do not like it, but I never knew everybody felt that way.
So my Question is:
Why are you not surprised?  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Microsoft Kills Edge Browser.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »
Don't know where you got that however I'd guess it was from one of many unsurprisingly hyperbolic tecch articles on the subject. Only about a tenth seem to link back to an actual source and a bunch of them seem to fill copy with some blabbering about Edge's "rich history" (?).

In any case, best source is from MS themselves, right here.

They aren't killing Edge in the sense that they are sunsetting it; they are apparently rebuilding it, using what is effectively the same underlying browser engine as Google Chrome... Of course one could argue that is "killing edge" because it's really just going to be Chrome with Microsoft's, uh... chrome... around it.

The big concern from this is that it is moving closer towards the web becoming a Monoculture, one which Google holds dominion over; Right now it's Microsoft, Google, and Mozilla; with this, Microsoft is basically dropping out and using Google's Chromium project for Edge meaning that there are only two players when it comes to browser standards: Google, and Mozilla.

You can already see the signs of a Google Monoculture in web developer circles. "Standard compliant" has started to mean "It works in chrome" to a lot of them; I've seen Firefox and Edge both described negatively as "not supporting standards" because they didn't support chrome-specific non-standard web extensions, and I highly doubt that this is going to help much in that regard- A lot of people will talk big about "following standards" but don't actually know what they are. That's why IE and then Edge were so frequently chastised as not "following standards"- Not by people who knew the standards themselves but by those who rank "compliance" with "stuff works". Sometimes standards are about what shouldn't work just as much as about what should.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 06:47:24 PM »
For what it is worth, I found four sties that used words similar to topic title.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6460719/Microsoft-kill-Edge-browser.html

https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-may-kill-off-edge-for-a-new-chrome-based-browser

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-to-kill-off-microsoft-edge-launch-chromium-based-windows-10-browser-524086.shtml

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/microsoft-to-kill-off-edge-browser-replace-with-its-own-chromium-derivative.250233/page-3

These all seem to be from the same source. Compatibility is given as a resewn for the change. That would seem to be a good reason.
Nevertheless, a few users had posted elsewhere some other reasons why. The say it has to do with security and Windows 10 updates. Ransomware was mentioned.
 MS is making c

davidgreams

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
    So, Edge is just like Windows 10, in that the only way Microsoft can get mass adoption is to force it onto people whether they want it or not.

Every week I see more reasons to be glad I separated from Windows years ago.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
    Every week I see more reasons to be glad I separated from Windows years ago.

If able to go without Windows thats great and all, but for gamers where Microsoft owns the rights to DirectX and no Open Source has made a DirectX module to tap into the power of DirectX, many games just dont perform as well with OpenGL.

I tried to do without Windows years ago and figured I will always have to have my gaming systems Windows based vs trying to completely sever ties with Microsoft's products.

As car as Chrome used for the core of the new Edge browser though just read about this now and its interesting. I was hoping over the years that Microsoft was going to sort of copy Apple and use Linux as the core of its OS. Because this then might open up DirectX being available for Linux builds other than the Microsoft build origin of it.  ::)  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »
    If able to go without Windows thats great and all, but for gamers where Microsoft owns the rights to DirectX and no Open Source has made a DirectX module to tap into the power of DirectX, many games just dont perform as well with OpenGL.

On Linux you need to install the proprietary Graphics Driver, otherwise OpenGL will usually run through MESA, a software renderer, which will have worse performance by design.

Currently WINE implements DirectX 9.0c, and most games using DirectX can be made to run on Linux.

Otherwise, Linux has OpenGL and Vulkan- again, with the proper drivers. You can't just clean install Ubuntu or Mint or whatever and then try running games.

EDIT: there is apparently work on DX10 and DX11 as well, here.

I was hoping over the years that Microsoft was going to sort of copy Apple and use Linux as the core of its OS.
    Apple never used Linux as the core of their OS. OS X is a certified UNIX operating System (except the latest release, for some reason) and the kernel was built based off of nextSTEP which itself used parts of BSD UNIX and Mach. Everything on top of it, however, was proprietary- You can't install the OS X Desktop Environment elsewhere, for example.

Recently the funniest thing I saw about this Edge thing was an MS Engineer actually "calling out" Mozilla:

"Thought: It’s time for @mozilla to get down from their philosophical ivory tower. The web is dominated by Chromium, if they really *cared* about the web they would be contributing instead of building a parallel universe that’s used by less than 5%?"

Talk about a lack of perspective. Mozilla- the only browser developer that has a clear commitment to an open web- is apparently the enemy of the open web for basically not *allowing* Chromium and Google to completely dominate and dictate the web?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
    Thanks for the info on DirectX for Linux BC. The last time I tried gaming with Linux was on Mint 13 and I used WINE and the drivers at the time only supported OpenGL making for a frame rate of like 13fps which was pretty bad. Whereas the same system dual boot to Windows got 60fps for the same game because it was able to use DirectX vs OpenGL.

Also thanks for the correction to the Apple Linux mix up which was Unix. When I read about Apple and BSD, I wasn't aware that Unix had a BSD, I was only aware of FreeBSD so that's where I went wrong with that assumption that they snagged a Linux build to shape for themselves in OS X.  ;D

windy-towarowe.pl

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 02:48:05 AM »
      Edge wasnt actually that bad, it works a LOT better than IE at least.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
      For those of you who've tried the new chrome-powered Microsoft Edge, how do you like it so far vs just using regular Google Chrome?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
      2x3i5x,
      Where can I get it?