Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: choosing a CPU for custom build  (Read 2068 times)

anikin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    choosing a CPU for custom build
    « on: December 10, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »
    Hi, Im Anikin

I'm planning a custom PC build.
    I would like to find out which CPU I should get for the purposes of gaming and video editing. Also, I was thinking of getting an atx size motherboard and case. I realize that I have to get other compatible hardware yet this is where I'm starting.

Thanks a lot
    I appreciate your opinions and advice.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: choosing a CPU for custom build
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
    I would start with a budget...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

anikin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »
      3k give or take!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
      3k give or take!
      If that is so,forget about using a small box. You will want the space.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
      3K - excellent.
      you might as well say no budget then.your two biggest money drains will be the CPU and the graphics card.get the largest your budget can afford once all the other components are factored in.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »
      3K sounds unusual.... Is this US Dollars or some other form of money where 3000 of it doesnt go as far for purchasing hardware?

Most who come here dont have a budget big enough for that they are looking for. They look for help in cutting corners to get the most for a barely build budget to which sometimes they are forced to buy good used parts to mix and match to fall within budget, or increase their budget to meet their expectations of performance. So really curious if this is $3000 USD or some other form of money where it may have lesser buying power and might be $400 USD after conversion etc.

If you are fortunate to have $3000 USD to put into a build, knowing what you plan to do with it for computer use we could save you from building a $3000 computer that your needs might only require a $700 build etc. Then keep the $2300 for 5 years from now when even better than what you can build now for $3000 is then maybe just $1000 to build, saving you money.

Myself I penny pinch in my builds and I mix and match used and new parts. As well as I will buy hardware that I plan to use for 5 years or more after the hefty premiums for the components have long gone and they become a dime a dozen. So I am a Bargain Builder I guess. Pairing a $60 motherboard with like a $120  AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0 Ghz CPU for the cost of $180, Windows 10 for $100, and good used GeForce GTX 780Ti 2GB video card for $100, Corsair 650 watt PSU for $50 , and 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM for $45 and using a $40 computer case making a build assuming you already have display, keyboard, and mouse a cost of $515. If you want a DVD-RW drive add $20 more to that to make it $535 for a gaming ready system.

(( Note: Good Used Video Cards are plenty as for there are Cybercurrency Farmers who buy them new and when the cost of electricity is greater than the Cybercurrency return on investment they unload them for sale used and most of them are fine without problems.)) I lucked out in getting my GTX 780 Ti 2GB off my youngest brother for $100 which was fair 3 years ago.