Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow internet speed when directly connected  (Read 2778 times)

scott5856

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Slow internet speed when directly connected
    « on: December 12, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
    I have an interesting question.  For some reason my internet speed on my computer is running slow and has been for a couple months.  I'm connected directly to the modem too and I'm not getting much speed.  now my roommates computer is running off the wi-fi and hes getting much faster speed.  I've done an anti virus check and came back with nothing, and I've also checked for any unusual looking programs but nothing looks out of the ordinary.  It seems like something is blocking it on my computer but I don't know what it could be.  I tried disconnecting and using the Wi-Fi like my roommate but its still really slow.  I can't think of anything else.

niketathakare

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Slow internet speed when directly connected
      « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:15:13 AM »
      Give your modem and router a quick reset (that is, turn them off and on again) and see if that helps. Check the other computers in your house to see if their internet is slow, too—if the problem only happens on one computer, the problem is that computer, not your router or modem. Run through these troubleshooting steps to see if it’s a hardware problem. Then, once you fix your router or modem (or replace it), you’ll be browsing speedily once again. Check out our complete guide to knowing your network for more router tips, too.

Shandy

Intermediate
        « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
        niketathakare... *censored*?

Anyway. If it's slow through the modem and another PC is in sync with no issues you can obviously rule out router or line/ISP issues.

Open command prompt (right click Start menu > Run > type CMD then type the following lines in one at a time:

netsh winsock reset
        netsh int ip reset
        ipconfig /release
        ipconfig /renew
        ipconfig /flushdns

Might help. Basically what I think you should try is reinstalling your network drivers and settings but probably easiest to start with the above.

Do you have any VPN or tunnelling software installed?

If the resets above don't work go back into cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the info back here.

niketathakare

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:52:24 AM »
          niketathakare... *censored*?

Anyway. If it's slow through the [ur=https://crbtech.in/programmes/hardware-and-network-training-programme
          l]modem and another PC[/url] is in sync with no issues you can obviously rule out router or line/ISP issues.

Open command prompt (right click Start menu > Run > type CMD then type the following lines in one at a time:

netsh winsock reset
          netsh int ip reset
          ipconfig /release
          ipconfig /renew
          ipconfig /flushdns

Might help. Basically what I think you should try is reinstalling your network drivers and settings but probably easiest to start with the above.

Do you have any VPN or tunnelling software installed?

If the resets above don't work go back into cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the info back here.

m.elkhateib

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
            « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:24 AM »
            at first keep in mind 2 basics thing
            1 if u r connected by cable may be the cable got noise on the signals
            2 if u connect by wifi and slow chk. the channel may be also have noise
            if 1-2 are ok
            then chk. who are with u (also connected ) maybe some one sniff the network

I have an interesting question.  For some reason my internet speed on my computer is running slow and has been for a couple months.  I'm connected directly to the modem too and I'm not getting much speed.  now my roommates computer is running off the wi-fi and hes getting much faster speed.  I've done an anti virus check and came back with nothing, and I've also checked for any unusual looking programs but nothing looks out of the ordinary.  It seems like something is blocking it on my computer but I don't know what it could be.  I tried disconnecting and using the Wi-Fi like my roommate but its still really slow.  I can't think of anything else.