Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Confused...I think my computer must be possessed  (Read 11698 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Confused...I think my computer must be possessed
    « on: December 13, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
    I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this question, if not, send me where I need to go.  I have older printers, they are not wireless, one is an HP Deskjet 6540 and the other is an Epson Stylus Photo R220.  I have Windows 10, Dell computer, Intel i5-4460, CPU@ 3.20 GHz, Ram 8 GB, 64-bit.  Now, I needed a new black cartridge for the HP.  Not a problem, changed it, went to print and it's printing almost light gray and not black.  So I did the troubleshooting, checked everything, says machine is working correctly.  I went out and got three new cartridges in the Epson and put them in so I could use it.  Well, don't you know, it's doing the same thing!  So I did all the troubleshooting, alignment, cleaning heads, everything, and it is still printing light gray.  If I type a  paragraph with either one, the last line or two is sometimes black like it is supposed to be.  Since both machines are doing this, I've come to the conclusion it is a computer problem I am having and never experienced before.  I haven't the slightest idea on what to do or where to look on the computer.  Doesn't it sound like a computer problem to you?  It's the only thing I can think of.  Why it did it after I changed ink, I don't know.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?  Soybean, SuperDave, somebody, can you help me?  Can a computer cause poor print quality?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Confused...I think my computer must be possessed
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
    There are many things you can check.
    My first thought is to check and see if your disk drive has any issues.
    (I will explain why later.)

Look here:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm
    A bad hard drive can cause an assortment of different issues on your computer. Below are just a few of the possible issues you may encounter.
    Some errors seem to be random. Or the error may interfere with just a specific thing you  want the computer to do. That can even include the printer server.

Check over the disk drive. It is a quick and easy test and does not require a lo of your time. Even if it does not help, you are a step along the right path.  :)

Term_ite

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:40:11 PM »
      Ensure that grayscale is not enabled in printing preferences. If it is enabled that would give you the results you are experiencing.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »
        I scanned the disk, no errors were found, but I did find something I have not seen before.  It says Local Disk F: 55.9 MB free of 450 MB.  I don't think I've ever seen this on here before.  What would be Disk F?  I have a Seagate External hard drive that I save my stuff to, and it shows up as an F Drive when I plug it in, but I have not used it in a while and it is not connected to my computer.  Oh...computers just make me feel so much dumber!!!

And Term_ite, I did check that grayscale is not enabled.

Also, a lot of times when I go to shut down my computer, a window pops up telling me it can't shut down and the reason, but it disappears too fast for me to read it, and it doesn't happen every time.  Actually, I got some updates and it stopped doing it, but it's doing it again.

I need to run...I'll check back first thing in the morning to see what you think the best thing for me to do is.  By the way, this computer is not that old, I think I got it in 2014, and about the only thing I do with it is get on FB and play games, and a little bit of shopping now and then.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »
          Okay, I scanned the disk, I went to the Seagate website for the free check and did more checking only to find they say everything is working properly.  Anything else I can try?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
            I just looked up when I bought this computer and it was three years ago this month.  I have run the Seagate thing, Malwarebytes,  scan computer, virus scan, and everything comes back with no problems.  So I tried to print something, same thing, it's very, very light and getting lighter.  What the heck else is there to do?  Do you think maybe unplugging the printers from the computer and then plugging them back in for the computer to re-recognize them would work?  That I haven't tried!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
            • My first real computer
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
            With the checks you have done of the computer hardware I think we can say it is not the computer.

Have you tried the printers printing colour ? say change the font colour to blue or read and try printing.

The   Epson Stylus Photo R220 is a windows 2000/XP vintage printer which is supposed to have Windows 10 generic driver support.
            I think either the head is failing or the vacuum pump is blocked, either way the printer has had a good life and needs to be replaced.

The HP is of a similar age and also seems to have a fixed head. This one also could have damaged heads, an air bubble in the pump line or just the pump isn't able to purge enough ink. If a head clean doesn't clear this then it needs a technician.

With printers being so cheap now it may be time to get a Windows 10 compatible printer.  Perhaps a Laser printer instead of ink jet.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
            ― John Bunyan

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
            It is not rare for two inkjet printers to fail at the sometime.
            But before you buy a new printer, there are a few other things you can try.
            You can uninstall both printers. The printers programs might be bad.
            Use the standard uninstall method.
            https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000568.htm
            (If an advertisement comes up, ignore it.)
            Remove both the programs and drivers of the printers.
            After that, restart the computer with just one printer on a USB cable. Windows 10 will automatically install drivers for the printer. Now try a test page.

EDIT: A new inkjet printer is now very cheap. You Walmart might have a Cannon for $20 with ink. But does not have the USB cable. Use the old cable.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
              Yeah, I know the printers are old, but they were both in good working condition when I last used them.  And for both to do the same thing at the same time doesn't make sense, so I really don't think it's the printers.  I thought about a uninstall and reinstall, that's a good idea.  Will try that next.  Thanks!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
              they were both in good working condition when I last used them.

I've had inkjets like that. Six altogether. Now I have a laser.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »
              My guess is those older printers have no Win 10 drivers...have you cheched ? ?
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 05:07:07 PM »
                Oh, Patio, my old friend!  I have had these printers longer than the computer and got the disks out, ready to install the printers' stuff.  When I plugged them in, the computer continued on its own from there.  I didn't have to use the disks so I'm assuming, since they have worked just fine up to now, that everything was taken care of.  I've been using the printers for the past three years with this computer.  Where do I find if they have Win 10 drivers?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                • My first real computer
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
                The printers have no support for windows 10 from HP or Epson but are supported with Windows 10's built in drivers. So when you plug the printer in, windows itself should load the drivers. I say should but with the new updates to windows 10 a lot of old legacy support has been removed.

How long before this happened were they sitting un used?.

With the Epson here is how to test the printer without being connected to the computer .https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r220__/r220__pb.pdf
                See on page 45 under Running a printer check
                If it works ok after doing a couple of those then it is likely a Windows 10 driver problem.

For the HP

Running a sample page

Turn the printer on.
                Press and hold the RESUME button until the printer starts printing.
                Release the RESUME button.

Running a self-test
                Turn the printer on.
                Press and hold the POWER button.
                Press the RESUME button four times.
                Release the POWER button.

Continuous "H" test
                Turn the printer on.
                Press and hold the POWER button.
                Press the RESUME button eight times.
                Release the POWER button.

If those tests give even printout then try reloading the drivers as others have suggested.
                If still a problem then it's shopping for a new printer.

If you don't often need colour and only use the printer a few times a day or less then consider a black and white Laser

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
                ― John Bunyan

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
                  I haven't been able to work on my computer today...Christmas stuff, you know, but I just tried to uninstall the Epson printer software, and it comes up with a box that has the name of the printer and says uninstall but the OKAY button is not lit up and I can't uninstall it.  And I see nothing on Programs for the HP.  What do I do now?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                  • My first real computer
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
                  Hi Debby

As these printers are not installed in Windows 10 using manufactures driver software there un install is not on the add remove program list.
                  You un install there support from device manager. Each printer will show in device manager when it is plugged in.
                  Here is step by step instructions on how to remove these devices ?
                  https://windowsreport.com/cant-remove-printer-windows-10/

DO NOT install any software from the link above !!!!!!!!!!!

Have you run the self tests to confirm the printers are ok ?
                  ― John Bunyan