Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC not shutting down completely. Windows 10  (Read 3399 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
PC not shutting down completely. Windows 10
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:29:48 AM »
I'm trying to shut down my system like I've always done on all my Windows PC's - Right click windows logo at bottom right of screen then select 'Shut down' in the dialog menu. Also I get the same result via pressing the power button. The display shows the word 'Shutting Down with the little circle image going round and round momentarily, then the display goes dark. Monitor/TV then displays 'no signal'. But the CPU and case fans stay running, the drives stay active (including USB external drive), and the power LED stays illuminated. It won't wake via mouse, keyboard, power button etc.  It will stay in this state indefinitely until I depress the power button for a few seconds forcing shutdown. It will then shut down. But upon restart it will sometimes remember, and automatically re-open the tabs/windows that were running before shutdown - like it had been in sleep or hibernate mode rather than been shutdown.

Things I've tried:
1 - Shutdown settings in 'Control Panel > Power Options > System settings > change settings that are currently unavailable: All 4 boxes beside 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)', 'Sleep', 'Hibernate' and 'Lock' are unchecked.
2 - Using command prompt > entered 'powercfg -h off'.
3 - In registry > merged command 'Default_not_require_Fast_Startup.reg'.
4 - In Power options > advanced settings:
    *Turn off hard disk after 3600 minutes
    *Sleep after = never
    *Allow Hybrid sleep = Off
    *Hibernate after = Never
    *Allow wake timers = Disable
    *Power button action = Shut down
    *Sleep button action = Do nothing
    *PCI Express > link state power management = Off
5 - In BIOS > advanced settings, Quick Start is disabled

This PC has been doing this every since I installed this new-to-me (bought from Ebay) motherboard. It makes no difference what the BIOS is set to (Load fail safe defaults, Load optimized defaults, etc). I've used 2 other SSD's and 1 other HDD with the same results.

System specs are:
Antec Atlas ATX case
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R mboard
Core2 Quad Extreme QX6850 CPU
Antec 550 watt PSU
Windows HM X64
Crucial 4GB DDR2
GeForce 8400 GS GPU
PNY CS900 2.5" SSD 480GB
WD Black Performance HDD 1TB

harberg

Starter

• shroud csgo settings
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC not shutting down completely. Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
Hi there, this happened to you daily? I remember I encounter this problem but not everyday sometimes I'll encounter this situation twice a week or so. I don't exactly know what are the problem and never tried to search for it but my Intuition says "There's probably something inside interfering" So started scanning found some, update the o.s then it goes OK.

Also If you're using some software that correct the registry it might also the cause of it before I'm using the avast registry clean it gives me some pain like it take long to shutdown, reboot, start which should not be the case because my windows 10 is on SSD so my best approach is to clone my system and to a clean format. Probably you should try the scanning and updating of OS. Hope it helps.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Yes it happen every time. Never has it shut down correctly. This is a fresh OS install just purchased directly from Microsoft. The OS stays up to date via 'Windows Update'. The only registry change (not made with registry editing software) I've made is mentioned in my first post (which was not effective), so that change was returned to previous default setting. Since my last post I replaced the front panel power button, reset button and all front panel LED's, replaced power supply with a brand new Corsair RM750x, replaced the memory with 4x2 GB G skill 1066/ 2.0v/ 5-5-5-15 and set BIOS accordingly,  and I've tried repairing (reinstall) the OS using the original ISO file on disc.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:53:39 PM by lectrocrew »

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 08:07:21 AM »
BY default, Windows 10 uses a hybrid-shutdown where it doesn't shutdown completely so it can boot faster.  You can change the settings to avoid that or you can simply hold the Shift key down while selecting Shutdown from the Start Menu and it will do a complete shutdown.

How to enable and disable fast startup on Windows 10

Right-click the Start button.
    Click Search.
    Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    Click Power Options.
    Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

niketathakare

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 02:07:56 AM »
    Shut down your system again. Time how long it takes your computer to boot into Windows when you start back up. If the difference between this number and the last number is extreme, go turn fast startup back on. If it’s just a few seconds, or an amount of time you don’t feel like you’re even going to notice in everyday use, you can leave fast startup unchecked to ensure that you’re always (really) shutting off your PC.
    Fast startup might also make no difference whatsoever. When I clocked my times, I got 29 seconds from button-press to Lock screen with “fast startup” enabled ... and 27 seconds with it turned off.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »
    In 'power options' > 'choose what power buttons do' > 'change settings that are currently unavailable': - all 4 boxes are UNchecked for 1- turn on fast startup, 2- sleep, 3- hibernate, 4- lock.

As far as startup time via selecting shutdown in startup menu or selecting shutdown in the options when simultaneously depressing 'shift' key, both are 37 seconds. When forced shutdown via holding power button depressed and also disconnection power > press start button > reconnect power > depress power button, the startup time is unchanged, 37 seconds.
    BUT if I turn on 'fast startup', the time shortens to 30 seconds. So apparently my fast startup has indeed been disabled from my changes made in #1 on my first post.
    I now have returned it to 'fast startup' disabled.

Thank you both for the reply's