robocopy help for complete begginer

(1/1)

miket11:
Hey guys I need help with Robocopy

So I have my C drive and a shared drive

I want to copy file from C to the shared drive

here is the trick though.

on my C drive I have a PRODUCTION folder and a UNDER_REVIEW folder
on my shared drive (E) I have a PRODUCTION folder an UNDER_REVIEW folder an APPROVED folder

So here is what I do. my shared folder is as indicated a shared folder and the PRODUCTION folder is basically the main folder from which all of the operations are ran. so I basically have a specific software that is like main licensed software running on this shared drive and in this shared drive it has its main files in the PRODUCTION folder that make the software work.

PRODUCTION folder on my C drive is like a mirror folder from the shared drive for my own machine because I have same exact software on my machine, but I run like a proxy version of it. so basically everything links to the shared drive.

when I do projects with files from PRODUCTION  folders, i usually take that file and move it to PRODUCTION folder on the shared drive and replace it.

I want to make it so this robocopy script is executing on its own every so often and when i work on a file in my C drive so i could save it to UNDER_REVIEW folder and because this scrip is always running it would take the file from my C drive UNDER_PRODUCTION it would take it to the share drive's UNDER_PRODUCTION folder.

Then after it was reviewed by whoever needs to review it, they would move it to the APPROVED folder all still in shared drive. this very same scrip needs to keep running and when the file is in APPROVED folder in the shared drive it needs to automatically move it to the PRODUCTION folder on the shared drive.

I also want the script to sync or mirror the PRODUCTION folder from the shared drive back to PRODUCTION folder on my C drive.

basically do this operation where it check to make sure if there are new files in the folder and to synch or mirror or copy them to the C drive folder.

also when its moving the file from APPROVED to PRODUCTION on shared drive that means its replacing an already existing file in that folder. What i want is for that old file that will be replaced to be save in on shared drive in some other folder like PRODUCTION_OLD.

hope this makes sense and someone can help me. thanks

Geek-9pm:
Here is information yu need to review.
https://www.computerhope.com/robocopy.htm
Robocopy is not needed for most backup and restore operations. It is useful in doing network backups on different computers over the network..

Looking at your post, I am not sure Robocopy is what yu need.

miket11:
Thank you for quick reply, I wasn't completely clear on what I'm working with. When I was referring to shared drive that is actually on a different network. We have a shared drive on a different network/server

Dan P:
I'm not sure if you are strictly wanting to program a batch file, or you're just looking for a backup tool.

I've been using SyncBack for years now. They have a free version, and either the free one, or the paid one works with network drives.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Good Luck Op.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version