Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is new with GRUB2?  (Read 6112 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
What is new with GRUB2?
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:41:01 PM »
Not so new to regular Linux Users. But if you, like me, have not been spending much time reading about Linux, you have missed out on GRUB2.
Last year a Supper version of GEUB2 was released.

Some this it can do for your are:
Super GRUB2 Disk is a live CD that helps you to boot into most any Operating System (OS) even if you cannot boot... Super Grub2 Disk 2.02s9 stable is here. Super GRUB2 Disk is a live CD that helps you to boot into most any Operating System (OS) even if you cannot boot into it by normal means.May 7, 2017
https://www.supergrubdisk.org/2017/05/07/super-grub2-disk-2-02s9-released/

And find more details here:
https://opensource.com/article/17/3/introduction-grub2-configuration-linux
GRUB supports multiple Linux kernels and allows the user to select between them at boot time using a menu. I have found this to be a very useful tool because there have been many instances that I have encountered problems with an application or system service that fails with a particular kernel version. Many times, booting to an older kernel can circumvent issues such as these. By default, three kernels are kept–the newest and two previous–when yum or dnf are used to perform upgrades. The number of kernels to be kept before the package manager erases them is configurable in the /etc/dnf/dnf.conf or /etc/yum.conf files. I usually change the installonly_limit value to 9 to retain a total of nine kernels. This has come in handy on a couple occasions when I had to revert to a kernel that was several versions down-level.

He goes on to find some things with GRUB2 that can be a bother. If you are into Linux, you want to learn more.

What is not mentioned  in the above is how GBUB can also boot up other operating systems that are not related to Linux. It you are trying to boot Windows, Mac OS, Linux and maybe another system, GRUB2 might be what you need.

But in some cases you will have to have two hard drives to take care of all the problems you might get into.   :D