Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Highjacked ????  (Read 16960 times)

herkdriver234

Highjacked ????
« on: March 14, 2004, 08:38:50 PM »
I don't know if this is a highjacking situation or not but I am getting adds popping up without my browser (internet Exp) turned on and I am getting URL shortcuts being added to my desktop.  Typically shortcuts to gambeling sites and search engines along with search programs and ad programs.  I remove these pests via add and remove hardware function and they just get reinstalled.  This has gotten so bad that my computer setting idle for 20 miniutes with no windows open will have upwards of 25 popups "pop up".  These programs are also using all of the available RAM, locking up the computer. >:(

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Highjacked ????
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 09:05:47 PM »
herkdriver234,

It definatley is frustrating when someone installs programs onto your computer without your permission... but unfortunately it does sounds as if your computer and/or browser has been hijacked. We would first recommend you attempt to follow the steps found in the below document in reguards to a browser hijack.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000578.htm

This should resolve many of your issues. In reguards to the popup windows, when the computer receives pop up windows without the browser window open these windows are often associated with Windows Messanger, we recommend that you disable windows messanger to make sure the popups are not traveling through this system. Information about how to do this can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000519.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein