Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pay Pal Credit is a SCAM!  (Read 10966 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Pay Pal Credit is a SCAM!
« on: December 26, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
Note to moderator: I did invent the title of this thread.
Here are links this this title or equivalent.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/bill_me_later.html
Gary of Washburn, WI
Verified Reviewer
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018
A call to PayPal today to ask why a eBay payment went DIRECTLY into PayPal Credit and not thru the usual channels. OMG! I also ended up (after 2 hours and 9 different "transfers) "speaking" with that same #METOO phony Liberal female who did nothing but "read the rules." Speaking with? No, just LISTEN to her go on and on and on and... Her only job is to talk in circles, constantly repeating Payment Settings, lying about eBay's involvement with PayPal Credit, lying about PayPal's email to me 1 hour before, "You have the wrong settings" and so on. "I told you but you tried to interrupt me, so I'll read the Rules to you again!" Previous to getting stuck with this #METOO female, a MALE manager agreed with me that the eBay transaction had INCORRECTLY ended up in PayPal Credit. "I see your account settings and you are right." Then SHE comes on the phone and basically says I'm stupid and rude.
PayPal is illegally channeling payments into people's Credit accounts ins

Last year:
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/PayPal-Warns-Users-of-Email-Scam-364586891.html
Watch the video.

Back in 2015:
https://bgr.com/2015/05/20/paypal-credit-scam-25-million/
The above blames Pay Pal.

Now see what users say:
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Products/PayPal-Credit-is-a-scam/td-p/1107654

Pay Pal is well aware of the issue. The link below is  admission and they expect users to do the work of fighting off the scammers.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/common-scams

IMHO Papal is in the driver's seat.  They need to make security a high priority.

Yes, Somebody is trying to scam me. At first it was email. Now I get notifications in my account, but the notification directs me to a 866 number that does not belong to Pay Pal. How do the do that?

Hard to believe! Does anybody here understand what is going on?  :(

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Pay Pal Credit is a SCAM!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:19:44 PM »
You should revise your title...yer not bein scammed by PayPal...yer bein scammed by outside sources who know you have used PayPal...

Just sayin
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
As I said, I did not invent the Title.
Whoever they are, if you call the 866 number a female voice says "...Pal Pal Credit" and then claims they are affiliated with PayPal.
I can not find a way to verify this.

EDIT:
Domain paypal.com is registered to the company in San Jose, CA
I had a hard time with a look up for paypalcredit.com which makes me think somebody is doing something odd.
I am not sure.

EDIT: The link below was edited on Dec 20, 2018 and clarifies that "PayPpal Credit" is a name for the company the used to be "Bull Me Later".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal
One needs to red the above thing very, very carefully. In the USA there are some rules understood to prevent a a company like  PayPal from  being a financial institution. Yet they want to act Ike one.

Many users say this is a scam. Not just me.   8)
If fit talks like a duck...
If it walks like a duck...
If it looks like a duck...
Nobody knows for sure.  :o
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:25:51 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:41:16 PM »
For starters, You have to specifically sign up for Paypal credit. Not to be one to profile but I'd expect the sort of folks who do so are the same sort who would do Layaways through department stores. They typically weren't very solvent, didn't pay a lot of attention to their responsibilities under contract (instead looking at that glowing peach over the horizon and happily signing anything that will get them closer) and then when those obligations creep back up on them freak out like it caught them by surprise.

They also overwhelmingly want to blame everyone and everything else for their problems. "Gary of Washburn, Wisconsin" is a fine example. He misclicks when selecting his method of payment, choosing Paypal credit which he got at some point. Later discovers this error... doesn't entertain the idea that he was wrong for more than a femtosecond. I also love how he manages to make something so sterile into this gendered and political thing, typical of massive douchebags. Love the reference to "#METOO phony Liberal female" followed by basically saying "Well, I don't know what this lady's problem is when the guy I was talking to before totally admitted to breaking innumerable laws. If anything like that happened it was probably to get them to shut up for a second- I can only imagine he was ranting and raving about random nonsense during his phone call. "I want to speak to a MAN-ager, thank you very much, sweetie... hash-tag Lock her up"...

Actually I don't know much about Paypal credit at all but knowing it screwed this dude, and I already like it. I mean if this is *his* side of the story of his experience, I can't imagine what it really was to allow his side of the story to paint him as such a massive you-know-what.

Pay Pal is well aware of the issue. The link below is  admission and they expect users to do the work of fighting off the scammers.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/common-scams

IMHO Papal is in the driver's seat.  They need to make security a high priority.

Yes, Somebody is trying to scam me. At first it was email. Now I get notifications in my account, but the notification directs me to a 866 number that does not belong to Pay Pal. How do the do that?
Paypal doesn't have "notifications" in the account. It can be set to send E-mail notifications regarding activity and Scammers have been sending out phishing E-mails posing as those sorts of E-mails for years. Paypal can not do anything about scams, but they can provide guidance to help people prevent themselves from falling victim to it. What do you imagine that Paypal can do, exactly?

The "scam" E-mails work by intentionally misrepresenting their origin and appearing like an E-mail from a legitimate source. Paypal can do no more than a Bank can to prevent that- spoofing the FROM: address is easy and duplicating the standard format from an actual E-mail isn't much harder. It's up to the recipient to determine if it is from a legitimate sender. This is made easier because illegitimate senders only want to hook the most gullible so their scam E-mails are rife with errors.

As far as responsibility goes, If I start sending Letters to people and putting your name and address in the FROM: field, is the "ball in your court" to stop me from sending them?

It's no different for Paypal, or any other company. Scammers create crappy, spelling-error-rife versions of typical notification messages from Apple, Blizzard, and any number of other companies and then send them out to large lists of E-mails hoping to catch the attention of somebody who isn't paying enough attention and thinks it is legitimate. They follow a link... it asks them to log in to "paypal" but is actually a phishing site, which fails but records their username/pass and redirects them to the real site, which works, then they see nothing wrong and figure it was just computers being weird. But they just gave away their login info.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:32 PM »
If you like to read from people who gripe, here is some more...
https://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-866-380-6582
Bill
7 Nov 2013
I get a call from 866-380-6582 every morning about 8:00 a.m.  They claim I owe money to Bill Me Later and that the debt goes back several years.  I didn't even have a Bill Me Later account until recently and all bills were paid when due.  They first said I owed $700 plus.  When I said "no way" they reduced it and I kept saying "no way."  Today they called and said I owe $175 and I just hung up on them.  They also call using other 800 numbers.  I'll never answer any of their numbers again ... it's a scam!
That was almost five years ago.
 But PayPal has changed...
- now they never ever do anything wrong.  ::)

The 866 number belongs to Bill Me Later.
To help customers who might have thought that Bill Me Later was part of PayPal, thy made some changes to protect customers were are not too bright.
The changed the name of Bill Me Later to Paypal Credit.  :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
1-866-380-6582 is a debt collection scam. The number is not and has never been owned by or affiliated with Paypal. The comments claiming otherwise are doing so because that is who the people calling from that number claim.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
Actually I don't know much about Paypal credit at all but knowing it screwed this dude, and I already like it.

That's what I took from this. Are things really that bad in the USA?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 12:30:38 AM »
"Bull Me Later".

Computer Hope sure has changed a lot since I first came here.