Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have no desktop or start button please advise  (Read 15063 times)

computer_doofus

I have no desktop or start button please advise
« on: January 05, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »
 :o  I think I deleted  (by accident of course) the files which open the desktop icons. My PC starts fine but don't load nuttin on the screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I hope I am doing this right, it's my first time here forgive me!! Here is nall my PC info.......
Presario Compaq
Celeron Processor
800/100MHZ
128MB
SYS ROM DATE 1 04 01
SYS ROM FAMILY 686C3
SERIAL# 1X13JD4JE0FD

I had a firewall and several spy/adware programs . I recently did some updates. Ty in advance, computer_doofus   :)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: I have no desktop or start button please advis
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
    computer doofus...... What operating system are you using ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 03:03:56 PM »
    What version of Windows? Can you do a system restore to yesterday or whenever it worked correctly? (This would be XP or Windows ME for restore.)

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 03:05:55 PM »
      Everything is fine except posting, before searching the forum for your problem. This issue has been considered here:
      http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1133772430

have a good day... ;D
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
        That should probably fix the issue .
        Please note that the poster is new here and may not be aware of the search feature .
        Hopefully it will work for Her .

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:42:35 PM by dl65 »

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 03:14:10 PM »
          Guys/gals, I think Q&A Forum Database is not so functional as it expected. Should it sticked somewhere on the forum that warns users to look up QA Forum Database before posting their thread?
          Ok there's a warn says search in the forum but few do this, being more exact may hel it ???
           I see that common computer questions are asked over and over again, though they are answered in QA FD section.

What do you say?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
            « Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:21:48 PM »
            Please note that the poster is new here and may not be aware of the search feature .
            Hopefully it will work for him .

No problem dl.
            we are no angel...  [smiley=engel017.gif]
            I am just trying to have sense of humor [smiley=grin.gif]

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
            There are several doofus'es here. (Doofii?)  :o :o :o :o

computer_doofus

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 07:48:30 PM »
             ::)You all r 2 cute here!!!!! I did read in the search but I'm thinking that it didn't apply bc I can't do manything. I have tried to start in safe mode etc. wo nuttin happening. I get the windows screen fine and the wallpaper comes up too but no icons or start on lower left corner. Nuttin on bottom either. I have not tried a restore off of a CD which will be my last resort. I don't know if I even have one so I might have to contact Compaq anyway. Oh BTW I am a girl, someone said "he" I think. Maybe that's the root of the problem eh?  :-[ ;)My operating system is Windows ME which sucks in itself. This is not under warranty. Well guys, as u might be able to tell now the name fits the girl huh? A self proclaimed computer doofus I am!!!! I do appreciate all your humor and input! I am on someone else PC writing to u bc I can't use mine!!! bye

computer_doofus

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 08:00:10 PM »
            I went and tried to log on as a new user and no luck and I tried all those other things too well some of them still no luck bc some I couldn't do at all OK I will wait for your reply. ty again

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 08:04:23 PM »
            It's a long shot but what if you right clickon the desktop and choose arrange icons by name?

If that doesn't work how about right clicking on the desktop and choosing Properties / Settings and posting what you see in the box?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 11:35:29 PM »
               computer doofus........Sorry about refering to you as a guy .........I put my foot in my mouth all the time .......
              However , I have a pc with ME on it on my bench right now and I have been trying to duplicate your issue ........
              There is one thing I was able to do .......I pulled the background wallpaper right down over the lower bar so that the start button didnt show .......So try and go right down to the bottm of your screen and see if you can grab the lower edge and drag it up a little .

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 11:40:56 PM »
                computer doofus......
                I think I deleted  (by accident of course) the files which open the desktop icons. My PC starts fine but don't load nuttin on the screen.

Can you recall where you were when you think you may have deleted something ?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
                   computer doofus.......   Maybe .......  Right click on your background and choose Active desktop ...then .....when the next little menu appears ...choose .... Show desktop Icons .  Now with a bit of luck they will appear .

Let us know

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:50:25 PM by dl65 »

computer_doofus

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 08:35:43 AM »
                  :)OK all here's the latest scoop on the "Doofus PC" hahahaha!!!!!! I tried right clicking to no avail and nuttin happens. I tried grabbing wallpaper at the bottom, top, corners, etc. and nuttin happens there either.... What I was doing when this happened......I was trying to see what program was causing my computer to keep hanging up. So, I was hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete to see what was not responding. I think I clicked on something there b/c after that I had no Icons when it re-started. I have tried everything and it's just fried. If I do Ctrl-Alt-Delete now it comes up blank w/o any files in there as well. I guess it took a female genius such as myself (yippee genius for a day) LOL  :o ;D to come up with a problem that has all of you quite stumped!!!!! Whooooo hooooo like the name implies"Computer_Doofus" is just that. Dumb de dumb dumb dumb. If it is any conciliation to you all I am blonde too!!!! This giggling bit is much more fun than screaming.  ::) So, I'm thinking to call Compaq and get me a restore CD considering I don't know where mine is. Maye I should write a blog chronicling the life of a "Computer Doofus" what ya all think. Or better yet a book WOW I can see it now on the best seller list..... LOL Funny but that name fits me so well and when I had to get a screen name to register here it kinda popped into my head. Whew, that's scary. ;D Well, I will wait for ur replies and as always TY for ur time and effort!!!!!
                  Laters, Computer_Doofus 8-) :D ::) [smiley=engel017.gif] [smiley=dankk2.gif] BTW a morning drench sounds fun too!!!!!With lots of MR. Bubble hahahaha [smiley=bath.gif]