Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opera Crashing  (Read 5864 times)

Anthony-Richard

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Opera Crashing
    « on: February 02, 2019, 04:28:36 PM »
    Hi,

I've been using Opera for years. I'm now on version 49. Until now, I've had no issues with it. What's happening is, it has a tendency to crash periodically.

Today I decided to uninstall the application, firstly in the control panel, then I deleted the files in the Opera Software folder in the Local and Roaming folders. I then reinstalled it and ran the browser.

I hadn't been on it for more than a few minutes when it crashed.  Thinking there maybe something else causing it to crash I made the decision to do a complete reinstallation of the Operating System. Having done that the first thing I installed was Opera and guess what it crashed. Apart from the Operating System there is nothing else on C drive apart from Opera. As I've said I've had no bother with Opera.

Thanks for the help,

Anthony-Richard

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Opera Crashing
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
    You should try two things less drastic than a Windows install.
    Maybe that should be three things.  :D
    1.)
    Create a new user account with Administrator level, log in to that new user and install Opera again. It just might work.
    2. )
    Download an older version of Opera. Try again.
    3. )
    Turn off you Anti-Virus and first test the Opera installer for compatibility issues.
    Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.
    Most programs created for earlier versions of Windows will work in this version of Windows, but some older programs might run poorly or not at all. Running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter should automatically detect and fix some of the most common issues. If that doesn’t work, try changing the settings manually. The following table should help you figure out which setting to adjust.

Then there is the question of hardware  issues.  :-\

Anthony-Richard

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »
      You should try two things less drastic than a Windows install.
      Maybe that should be three things.  :D
      1.)
      Create a new user account with Administrator level, log in to that new user and install Opera again. It just might work.
      2. )
      Download an older version of Opera. Try again.
      3. )
      Turn off you Anti-Virus and first test the Opera installer for compatibility issues.
      Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows.
      Then there is the question of hardware  issues.  :-\

Thank you for your suggestions.

I'm currently using Opera 49, I also have versions 20 and 37 and I'm reluctant to downgrade to an earlier version. The reason being to do with the two Opera Software folders which are to be found in the Application Data Folder on the C: drive, one in the Local folder, the other in Roaming.

Just in case I have to do a re-installation of the Windows OS I keep all my data files on a portable disc drive, which has several partitions one of which holds all my software installation programs. These can be found in sub folders for audio, browsers and graphics for example. In the browsers folder I have a folder named Application Data. this has two sub folders named local and roaming. Each of those sub folders have two sub folders one for Opera, the other Firefox.       

Whenever I'm about to a re-installation of Widows, I'll go into the application folder on the C: drive and copy the Opera and Firefox folders and paste them to their respective folders on the portable disc drive. After completion of the Windows re-installation, I'll begin re-installing my programs. Once the browsers are installed, I'll do the reverse by copying the aforementioned folders from the portable to the C: drive. So that when I open Opera or Firefox for the first time, they are exactly how they were before I did the re-installation of Windows.

The thing I've found is, if I save the data from say Opera 49 it is incompatible with Opera 37 for some reason.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:36:30 AM »
      Sounds like you are a dedicated Opera user!
      You have a backup plan that works. Good for you.

Sorry I can not think of anything else. Before you do another re-install of windows, make sure your hardware is in good shape. Especially three areas of concern:
      1.) Power supply stability. Once in awhile a power supply is flaky and can introduce permanent errors into the system. This is rare, but has been documented by others. A laboratory test jig is more costly than a new power supply, so the pascal things is to  have a spare power supply on hand.
      2.) Memory failures. These are hard to detect unless you use one of the extensive test programs.
      Windows memory diagnostic test
      3.) Hard drive failures and very hard to discover unless you use the tools recommended by the OEM.  Segregate has tools that will also work on other brands.
      Se agate Drive Test Tools
      I hope this is of some help.    :D

Anthony-Richard

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
        Thanks for all your help.

I've been using Opera since version 6. I'll check out Windows memory diagnostic test programs.  The hard drive's fairly new, bought it a month ago.

Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »
        Thanks for all your help.
        ... The hard drive's fairly new, bought it a month ago.

Good ti know. Yest hard drive failure is now as predictable as one might think.
        Any I brand new hard drive has a statistical failure rte above 0 %. and a hard drive that has worked for ten years has a failure rate below 100 %. You just have to test them from  time to time. I have one used drive that clocked 5000 hoers and it tests good. But I have 'refreshed 'the drive many times.

Hope you find a solution.   :)