Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, my computer problem is sending me insane  (Read 8663 times)

computernew

Help, my computer problem is sending me insane
« on: January 05, 2006, 04:08:02 PM »
Hello folks, im a newbie here and im having a nightmare with my computer at the moment.

Im running windows 2000 with an internal hard drive space of 17gb with 5.86gb of space free (also I have an external hard drive with 160 gb on it with 40 gb of space free). The problem im having, im not completely sure of, but this is what I keep getting on the screen from time to time....

"You are running low on virtual memory...." etc

I also get an alarm like sound from my computer tower which goes off from time to time and its unbelievably annoying. As I use my computer on a daily basis for internet and work purposes, it drives me insane as the alarm sound inside the tower just goes off randomly. I havent got a clue how to sort this out I tried looking up on websites about the problem but found hardly nothing to help me.

I was wondering if anybody could please help me sort out my problem. Thank you very much.

computernew aka Sean

GX1_Man

Re: Help, my computer problem is sending me insane
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:14:14 PM »
Sounds like a spyware/virus problem. I don't suppose you run any type of protection on a routine basis you would like to mention?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:15:19 PM »
    Check out your W2K help files, they are very good.
    Enter 'virtual' in the search thingie.

Managing Computer Memory
    When your computer is running low on RAM and more is needed immediately to complete your current task, Windows 2000 uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. In Windows 2000, this is known as Virtual Memory, and often called the pagefile. This is similar to the UNIX swapfile. The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (appropriately named pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your computer.

computernew

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »
    I run mcafee security centre it has loaded automatically ever since I installed it, I run it when im online for the firewall. I virus scan every 3 to 4 days I last scanned 2 days ago and the things it found it deleted them. Is there a way to obtain more virtual memory. My RAM is 129,520kb, could there be a problem with my virtual memory settings maybe? if so how would I go about checking it out?

Thanks again

Computernew

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:28:38 PM »
    I would start with Ad Aware and Spybot to look for malware. Bet you don't come up clean!

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Post back and let us know.

computernew

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »
    will do  ;D thanks so far folks. watch this space be back soon with scan details.

computernew

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »
    Still In the process of scanning with ad-aware SE now it has found 219 critical objects so far,

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 05:04:13 PM »
      W2K+Mcafee+WhoKnowsWhat+128MB RAM= :-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
      I bet it's the "who knows what" more than the memory. I can run Win2K easily on 128 RAM on the old GX1 PII-400.  ;) Of course I would never run McAfee or Norton though.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »
        Someone should explain to him where and how to set his virtual memory as he doesn't seem interested in reading the help files.
        Someone with patience like GX1_man ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »
        Read the help files as directed regarding virtual memory!   ::);D ::) ::)

computernew

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 05:29:59 PM »
        I have read the help files but sorry to say im not 100 percent computer literate.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:17 PM »
          Ive fallen to the level of 'help file copy & paster' :'(

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file

Open System in Control Panel.
          On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
          In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
          Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
          If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to change the size of your computer's paging file.
          To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
          For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.
          Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
          To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero.

You may wish to set it higher as a test. 2 X 128 = 256
          « Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:39:32 PM by Fed »

computernew

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »
          Just wondering if everything on the picture below looks ok....I changed it to 256 and restarted my computer.

Also whats wrong with using mcafee and norton? is AVG the better one to use? Could my mcafee security center be using up alot of virtual memory as it connects to the vrius scanner, firewall etc all at once while running in the bottom right hand side bar near the clock. thanks

computernew

computernew

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »
          Im just gonna say thanks to all you guys your absolutely great, I went from knowing nothing to learning about my problem you guys should get some awards or some commendation for your work here.

thanks

computernew

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »
          We work for cheap. Just a few nice words, or even any feedback at all is enough for us.

BTW the memory usage looks correct. How many problems did you locate and fix with AdAware and Spybot? More than 100 I wager.
          « Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:59:27 PM by GX1_Man »

computernew

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »
          [highlight]BTW the memory usage looks correct. How many problems did you locate and fix with AdAware and Spybot? More than 100 I wager. [/highlight]

I found well more than 100, ended with about 200 plus. My computer is running a tad better than it was, im also looking to get rid of mcafee and stop running it, so im in need of a good firewall and virus scanner.

Also whats wrong with using mcafee and norton? is AVG scanner the better one to use?

thanks again folks.

Computernew

computernew

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 12:56:46 PM »
          The old fogey is just a nobody :P who invented the theory of relativity. Albert Einstein, even a genius of science can take time out to see if he can lick his adams apple.

Thanks Mac for your help there I installed everest, im unsure what processor speed it is but it says intel celeron on the tower casing.

Also where could I find a decent copy of AVG and the Zone alarm firewall.

thanks,

Computernew

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »
            Also where could I find a decent copy of AVG and the Zone alarm firewall.

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10342876.html

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7228,00.asp

That should get you going .

dl65  ::)
            If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.