Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pressing enter or alt spams the minus key  (Read 3292 times)

bluebird545

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    pressing enter or alt spams the minus key
    « on: January 02, 2019, 05:42:54 AM »
    it started a few weeks ago, but i only realized today it was the enter key that caused the minus spam. i tried to reset my computer ( without deleting personal files ) and it did not work. it stops spamming after i press the backspace button. an hour later after resetting, i alt-tabbed and it spammed again, letting me know it triggers when pressing the alt button as well now. ( not the tab button though ) i tried disabling the enter button with an app, but it still spams without triggering enter. i thought maybe it was a keyboard problem, but i am using an asus vivobook and have a keyboard cover which would make dirt under the keys unlikely, plus it doesnt make sense. i plan on fully resetting the laptop overnight. any thoughts?
    ( also tried reinstalling keyboard driver, didnt work )

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: pressing enter or alt spams the minus key
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:29 AM »
    It's the keyboard...cover or not.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bluebird545

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:01:24 PM »
      once again, i do think getting dirt under my laptop would be unlikely and strange ( i think it wouldve just normally jammed the actual minus button ) i havent done a full reset yet because i plan on restoring my files after and havent done a backup. aside from the dirt scenario however, i dont know anything else that can cause a keyboard to fuction physically. if a full reset fails, i'll be removing some keys to check.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »
      .. .anything else that can cause a keyboard to [mal] fuction physically.../quote]
      I have 40 years working with small computers.
      Keyboards have learned  me  this fact:
      When a keyboard is bad...
       -- it acts badly..  8)

niketathakare

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:06:28 AM »
        The simplest way to change keyboard mappings is, as mentioned, to use a free utility that will change the registry for you. This avoids having to grapple with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout.

Well known examples include SharpKeys, KeyTweak, and MapKeyboard. I’d start with SharpKeys but use whatever works for you. Note, however, that success is not guaranteed: some “non standard” keys are controlled by drivers and Windows can’t redirect those.

SharpKeys is a simple program that provides two lists of keys: “From” keys on the left and “To” keys on the right. Select the key you want to change on the left hand side, and then select what you want the key to do on the right. After changing any keys, click the “write to Registry” button and then restart your PC for the changes to take effect.

MapKeyboard is a very small program that doesn’t need to be installed, and it’s based on a graphical representation of a standard keyboard. The drawback is that this probably doesn’t match the keyboard you have. Also, it doesn’t include special hotkeys, but it does include some small advertisements.