Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP operating system Microphone directly to speaker output  (Read 4308 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    XP operating system Microphone directly to speaker output
    « on: January 16, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »
    I have XP I can record to file with microphone so mic works I can play songs thru speakers so speakers work. What I can't do is talk in mic and have it come out directly thru speakers kind of like using the computer as an amp.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: XP operating system Microphone directly to speaker output
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
    That does notwork.

The image above shows several inputs, but no microphone.
    The microphone is only an option in the recording mode. But recording loudspeakers turned off.

One workaround is to get a tiny hardware pre-amp for the microphone and run that output into the line for playback. That way the PC works like a PA, but does not record anything.

But why use a PC as a PA system anyway?
    Perhaps the OP can clarify what he truly needs.  Is the a need  hear yourself  while recording?  Did your voice cosh tell you to do that? I think not. It is a bad praise of some radio personalities and should not be used  an model.

I will try to help the I can.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
    The image above shows several inputs, but no microphone.
    Options->Properties, and check off "Mic Volume" in "Show the following volume controls".

It controls the output volume of the microphone through the default speakers, as opposed to controlling the Mic Input settings (Options->Properties, and choosing "Recording" under "Adjust Volume For").. I believe both are relevant, however- eg. boosting the Microphone's recording volume would raise the output volume when it is not muted in the mixer.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
    BC, thanks for the help.
    XP does not allow the microphone and loudspeakers both on at the same time. **
    I need to have the OP explain what he wants to do.
    Does he really want to hear his voice?
    There is a way to do it, but not documented.  ;D

** two reasons, Or three
    1. The sound card is digital, not analog.  Only inputs and pitputs are analog and there is not direct connection from input to output.

2. Once you r do that, (I have) you get a horrible squeal from the loudspeakers.

3. There is time delay,. Analog to digital, process, Then back  to analog. Sounds like maybe 50 milliseconds.This will confuse most people, unless they have done do'ed something this that and have learned how to ignore time delay.

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:55 PM »
      I took an old telephone handset from the early 60's and wired the talk into part to the mic input on the computer via jack. I could have but didn't wire the ear piece of the hand set to speaker out on the computer seems like this would work like a telephone you could hear and talk into a telephone handset while doing a video audio conference over the internet. I do not think you would have feedback problems with only one phone handset. I just wanted to see if when one talks into the mic and if it would come out the speaker what or if it would sound the same as recording ones talking and then playing it back.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 04:56:57 PM »
      John1397,  OK.
      Now I see what you want.
      Besides the feedback issue,there's a short delay going through the PC sound circuit.

Cleaver idea using an old telephone handset. To hear yourself the phone will need some battery power and preamp. The mike does not have enough power to drive the ear receiver without a boast. See footnote.

Do you know how to activate a telephone set with a nine volt battery?

Here is alternative idea; Some vendors on eBay are now selling small audio amps that can power a small speaker. Or a telephone receiver.
      Find a eBay vendor that offers tree shipment and quick delivery. Under $4.

Footnote. Older telephone sets used a carbon microphone. It did not use any preamp. Thomas Edison mad a great idea at the time.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_microphone

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:37 AM »
        It is carbon. You can even lay phone down and talk into it from 18 inches away and it still picks up sound good.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 11:15:15 AM »
        It is carbon. You can even lay phone down and talk into it from 18 inches away and it still picks up sound good.
        Wow! where did you find one of those?
        You can wire it to the LINE input of your PC

On the back of the PC the line in is often a blue input jack.
        She carbon mic has enough output to drive it.
        I have used the line input on my PC to hear my microphone. But the standard microphone has low level,so I had to up the volume to her it.
        Also,  this PC uses the line input for dual purpose and I had to select the right input.  On some kind of laptops there might not be any line input.

Have you tried the line input? Do you hear the time delay?

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
          I was doing video conference this entails sending web cam over the internet and used telephone to send audio and when someone talks the video is first and seems like sound is about 5 seconds later pretty choppy. I always used mic in as you can only go one direction at a time, I never tried the line in. I do not understand when just recording what the difference is between line in and mic seems like they would both go to same place when recording. I saved all those old phones I actually still use those rotary phones as that is the one thing that still works unlike old vhf tv's.