Software > Computer games

Can you install old games on Win 10?

(1/1)

debby:
I was cleaning up in my office and found an old Monopoly game (1997) that I used to play a lot.  Can it be installed on a newer computer running Windows 10?  I put the disk in and nothing happened but a lot of noise from the cd.

Geek-9pm:
My first thought is the CD got dirty.
Clean it with a soft cloth a little bit of soap and water.
Dry it off and try again.

Which version of Windows do you have?

debby:
No, the cd did not get dirty, I just found it while I was cleaning up my office.  The CD has been in it's case tucked away all these years.  I have Windows 10, Intel i-5-4460,  CPU 3.20 Ghz, Ram 8 GB, 64-bit.  I looked online for one similar, and there were some for free, but when I went to the websites listed, my computer told me they were not a secure website.  So I was afraid to download them.  Geek, you may remember me, I don't know anything about computers.  You've been a big help to me in the past.  Thank you so much!

Geek-9pm:
debby,
Hello again.
Can you get windows to open up the CD like a folder?
If can , there ought to be at least on file that is an application file. that is what should start the game.  It might have a name that makes sense.

Here are some facts you need to know.
  Older games were often made to work on older PCs using MS-DOS.
  Windows 10 does not like programs doing direct read and write of hardware .
  The 64 bit version of Windows does not allow the 16 bit program  method.
  The games can run too fast on new computers.

If Windows can run the games, you use a work around.
One workaround is to use a virtual machine. Think of it as a protective blanket around the game to prevent any harm to the system.

But if the game was a well done program for Windows 95or 98, it ought to run alright. It is a 32 bit program.

To learn about virtual machine, look here:
What is a Virtual Machine?
Also:
VirtualBox

BC_Programmer:
Windows 10 doesn't by default have the "autorun" feature enabled for security reasons. You would have to navigate to the Disc itself in order to run the installer.

However, the bigger problem is that the Installer is a 16-bit program- These are older programs written for Windows 3.1. The problem is that 64-bit windows cannot execute 16-bit applications, so you cannot run the installation program.

Since the Game is 32-bit, it *is* possible to run the game manually, though. If you browse the CD, you can find a "MONOPOLY" executable/Application file in the MONOPOLY folder. If you run that, you can run the game without installing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version