Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issues with user acounts in Windows 8.1  (Read 42457 times)

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Issues with user acounts in Windows 8.1
    « on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
    I'm having some issues with user accounts on Windows 8.1. 

My grandma gave me her PC and her name was Ann.  She had only one account on the computer and the account name was Ann.  I changed the name of the account to my name (David), but then I realized it was password protected and it wouldn't let me log in to that account.  But somehow it let me log on anyway outside of that account.  So I went in and created a second user account and made it an administrator account.  I named it "temp" as I was going to change it to David after I deleted the other David account.  So I deleted the David (previously Ann) account.  And changed the name of the temp account to David. 

And at some point I also turned on a guest account so other people could use the computer too.  So I had 2 accounts - David and guest.  But every time I logged onto the computer it would show a third account called "other" which it made up and that's the one it would load up to.  I didn't create this account, it made it up for some reason.  But I was able to get around the "other" log in and log in as David or Guest. 

Now even though I deleted the first account (Ann) the computer keeps calling me Ann here and there, like when I tried to install OpenOffice.  It gave me the choice of installing it for all users or just in my account (Ann).  I don't know why it said that because the account I was currently in was David and the Ann account had been deleted.  In addition to the computer still calling me Ann here and there, it oddly wants to install programs in (.../user/temp/...).  And temp was the name of my current user account before I changed it to David. 

So is there any way to fix these issues? 

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Issues with user acounts in Windows 8.1
      « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »
      Update: Now it's just showing those two user accounts: David and Guest.  So that is good.  But I have a program installed called Vistart which gives me back my Windows 7 looking start button and menu.  And when I'm logged on as David and I go to my documents in the start menu it shows the file path:

This PC > OS (C:) > Users > Temp > Documents

And Temp is my old user name, so it should be:

This PC > OS (C:) > Users > David > Documents

Anybody know how to fix this?