Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 30 Degrees celsius difference between cores?  (Read 3541 times)

norvegas25

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    30 Degrees celsius difference between cores?
    « on: January 25, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »

I ran stress test on my cpu and my laptop started throttling under 5 min, than i checked the temperature for each core and i got this. Doesn't seem normal, any tips ? I did just open my laptopt and cleaned my fans. I didint remove the thermal (I might came acrsossed it, and touched a bit). So my question if that would be be cause of the thermal paste, wouldn't all cores be much hotter?
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:55:39 AM by norvegas25 »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 30 Degrees celsius difference between cores?
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 08:44:36 AM »
    I had a Core i5 that shows a 23 degree difference between cores and the hottest core runs 85C on me. The laptop is very warm when running and it starts to throttle itself to try to run cool and not melt down the CPU. What I found with mine was that one of the thermal sensors was reading wrong and that the 85C measurement was true. I removed my heatsink and placed a desktop heatsink onto my CPU to see if I could cool it back to normal temperatures and with a massive block of cast aluminum on it with thermal compound it dropped to 37C.

My issue was that the heatpipe on the laptops heatsink cracked and the alcohol or ammonia leaked out making it unable to draw heat away like it use to when new. I found a replacement heatsink on ebay for $15 which was a good "Used" heatsink that someone yanked out of a dead laptop and  that got it fixed and temperatures now maxing out at 63C which is normal with regular operation in the 40-50C range.

Picture attached is me testing the Core i5 with a desktop heatsink and a thermal graphing program I was running on Linux Mint that showed a real time readout of the CPU temperature. The swings in the graph in the picture was me removing heatsink and watching it get hot fast and placing heatsink back in contact with CPU surface made temperature plunge to cooled as heat was drawn away by the cast aluminum. This test basically showed me that I had a heat problem and the CPU was reporting correct with its hottest measured internal temp sensor.

Here is info on heatpipes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe