Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?  (Read 29256 times)

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?
    « on: January 24, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »
    My grandma gave me her PC which hasn't been used in quite a while.  And it has Windows 8 on it.  And after windows installed new updates it said that I need to upgrade to Windows 10 or 8.1 because it has an earlier version of Windows 8 on it that doesn't have fixes or updates. 

Someone on the Computer hope chat told me that I should stick with Windows 8 because Windows 10 has some issues and windows 8 is better and will have updates or support for another 3 years.  So I thought I would upgrade to windows 8.1 so that it would run smoothly. 

It sent me to this web page:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15288/windows-8-update-to-windows-8-1
    But I couldn't find a link to download Windows 8.1

Does anybody know how to get it to update or upgrade to Windows 8.1?  Or where I can download it.   

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
    Hi

Reading thru the link makes sense. You get the update for free from the windows store if your computer meets the requirements for the upgrade you will see a link to download. if your logging into the windows store and can't see the option for the 8.1 update then it could be because of the reasons in the link.
    if you want to use an iso I would recommend you backup the whole computer as you may need a licence key to install the iso is available here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

The correct method if you are doing an upgrade is to use the Microsoft store.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

kuurt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8?
      « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.  I thought I was going to have to install it manually, but today the windows updates wanted to install it for me.  So now I have 8.1 installed.  Thanks again.